Won't stay lite

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DPeterson

Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
so I did my first smoke with my Amazen tray 5X8. I filled all three rows and made sure I didn't get it to full so the fire would jump rows. The fire goes out when it gets to the end of the row, what am I doing wrong?

What smoker are you using? Where are you placing the tray? Are you certain the pellets are well lit? This is the normal issue.

Mes 130 the tray is in a mailbox it stays lite until it gets to the end of the row then goes out

Sounds like a lack of oxygen. Someone will chime in with more experience.

Chris

I have 5 3/4" holes in the front of the mailbox when it is smoking it works fine the fire just goes out

At the end of the row, you do have enough pellets at the end for it to continue down the next row?

I have had the same issue a few times and have just started to add more pellets just at the the very end of the row. It's worked the couple of times I've tried it, but I haven't done it enough to know if it's a sure fire fix.

Reactions: DPeterson
What does the burnt pellet ash look like? is it black/grey or white? If the pellets are burning cleanly they should look white. Another thing is to elevate the tray off the bottom of the mailbox. use standoff bolts, or large paper clips or whatever. Lastly, what kind of pellets are you using?

Hi there and welcome!
Another thing that helps is to microwave the pellets for about 1min 15 sec, wait 2 min mix around, microwave again for 1min 15 sec.

The microwave job will zap undetectible moisture/humidity in the pellets and they will burn much better!

Also are there any holes in the bottom of your mailbox mod? As others are mentioning getting the AMNPS up off the floor helps get airflow under it. So if you can elevate and get air flowing under then that helps as well.

Finally, what elevation are you at?

If your using certain types of wood pellets like cherry. Sometimes they're difficult to keep lit. Also if you live in a higher elevation then you may have difficulties with the tray. The tube is recommended in those situations.

Chris

I am at 700 ft elevation, I use the pellets I got from the Amazen company, this smoke I used apple. My tray is about 2 inches off the bottom and the ashes are white. I don't have any holes in the bottom but can put some there. There is a couple 1/4" holes for mounting the mail box but I don't think they are big enough to do much good.

I am at 700 ft elevation, I use the pellets I got from the Amazen company, this smoke I used apple. My tray is about 2 inches off the bottom and the ashes are white. I don't have any holes in the bottom but can put some there. There is a couple 1/4" holes for mounting the mail box but I don't think they are big enough to do much good.

With all that info I believe you just need to do the microwave trick with your pellets. Maybe add a hole or 2/3 in the bottom of the mailbox (if it is off the ground) where the ends of the AMNPS will be sitting so there is air for the pellets at the turns :)

I am still having trouble with my AMNPS tray. When it gets to the end of the row the fire goes out. I put extra pellets at the end to help it burn around the corner but it still goes out. It just doesn't act like it is drawing, should I put a pipe on the top outlet to raise the flue?

I am still having trouble with my AMNPS tray. When it gets to the end of the row the fire goes out. I put extra pellets at the end to help it burn around the corner but it still goes out. It just doesn't act like it is drawing, should I put a pipe on the top outlet to raise the flue?

If you haven't done the microwave trick that would be the first thing to try. You can always increase draw too but I found the microwave trick to be the greatest solution to stubborn pellets because they have sucked up too much hidden humidity. They will seem bone dry but actually they are storing moisture you can't detect.

Turn those pellets into dust. Have never had them go out since I started doing that. Or like Tallbm says, micro them a bit. 1 min, open door let cool. Another min. Good to go

did you try putting the tray into mailbox the opposite way you've been doing it and see how long it burns, this might tell you if you have a draft problem, is your vent wide open on top of your smoker,as tallbm said try microwaving your pellets 2-3 minutes, mixing them 1/2 way through. this may solve your problem. I always do this also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky