Wont drop below 250 and tons of smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jmk33764

Original poster
Jun 5, 2021
First let me say hey. Just put the dyna glo wide body together and now doing First season. With everything shut it won't drop below 250 on factory gage. If I open the fire box vent a hair temp climbs way up. And tons of smoke no matter what I do. Any suggestions.?

not familiar with your smoker but do you have your top vent wide open, how much charcoal, wood are you trying to burn, i would close the firebox vent and make sure top vent is open but maybe this is where these run at, i'm sure someone with more knowledge will be around to help you. also welcome to smf

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Like they asked, wood or charcoal, and are you using lit, ashed over coals? There will always be some thick smoke as charcoal/wood lights, requiring some finesse. Add lit coals, and when adding wood splits, keep the firebox open for a few minutes to "burn off". Some people don't start until after burning down a few splits to a bed of coals, then slowly/carefully adding them.

Those vertical offsets are designed to be efficient, and it sounds like yours is. You could use water on the bottom rack as a ~225*F heat sink til you figure it out, but you definitely do not want too much thick smoke.

Like they asked, wood or charcoal, and are you using lit, ashed over coals? There will always be some thick smoke as charcoal/wood lights, requiring some finesse. Add lit coals, and when adding wood splits, keep the firebox open for a few minutes to "burn off". Some people don't start until after burning down a few splits to a bed of coals, then slowly/carefully adding them.

Those vertical offsets are designed to be efficient, and it sounds like yours is. You could use water on the bottom rack as a ~225*F heat sink til you figure it out, but you definitely do not want too much thick smoke.
[/UOTE
Lump hardwood. Half a

Hardwood lump. Half chimney. Lit with paper towel and a little oil on it. Let it burn for 20 minutes till it turned almost white. Put it in fire box with 4 chunks of apple wood. Had top vent open firebox half open. Tons of smoke at 250. Opened firebox all the way. Kept climbing and even more smoke. Closed top vent nothing changed. Opened top and closed firebox. Same thing. All changes I waited 20 minutes to see if any made a difference.

I seem to have a similar issue. I use a Dyna-Glow vertical propane smoker and it seems the lowest i can get it is about 248. I use wood chunks and some wood chips to fill in. I also use a separate thermometer to test the interior temp. Weird thing is, the thermometer on the smoker shows it at 225.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky