Winter Batch of Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinadam

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Appleton,WI
Sliced up 2.4 lbs of bottom round and tossed it in marinade yesterday. This morning loaded up the dehydrator with it and was almost a perfect fill. Marinated in soy sauce, worcheshire, onion granule, garlic granule, black pepper, brown sugar and liquid smoke. Smells really delicious and I can't wait for it to get done as I'm not paying 19.99 for a pound of Jerky even though I will only get about a half pound from this batch and it costed me about that as the discount bin didn't have any cheap beef. Next time maybe I'll do some pork Jerky and see how that turns out as that's becoming popular on here.

Be back later with finished batch! -2 degrees outside would not allow me to smoke this batch but I think I'll do some cold smoked cheese in the garage

Should be tasty!

I'll be doing some pork and top round jerky soon. I picked up a 26 pound whole top round and a full pork loin. Needed some lean ground beef and pork for another project. The rest of both will be made into jerky using my Thai jerky marinade.

If you have a restaurant supply buying these cuts in bulk is best. I paid $1.20/pound for the pork loin and $2.17/pound for the top round.

Should be tasty!

I'll be doing some pork and top round jerky soon. I picked up a 26 pound whole top round and a full pork loin. Needed some lean ground beef and pork for another project. The rest of both will be made into jerky using my Thai jerky marinade.

If you have a restaurant supply buying these cuts in bulk is best. I paid $1.20/pound for the pork loin and $2.17/pound for the top round.
I don't believe we have a restaurant supply anywhere close but I will Google that for future cuts. I got my last loin for 1.29 a lb at the grocer

Well it's done and been air drying for 2 hours. Pretty good taste and dried just how I enjoy it.
And what was suppose to be dinner but took to long... never had these before so the 2 hours I had them on they were still tough to the probe even at 170... boneless beef ribs... turned out good after 4.5 hours. I had them in a pan with door county cherry wine just to baste them for little over 1.5.

Reactions: bdskelly
I was in Appleton yesterday, and I was extremely disappointed.....why, you ask? Well, here is the story, I love eye of round for making jerky.....imho it is the primo cut. I found top round on sale last week at a Piggly Wiggly, though, so I jumped on it at $2.99/lb. Yesterday, I stopped at Gordon's Food Service in Appleton, just off of College Ave. They have eye of round primal a for 2.65/lb if my memory serves me correct. I will be buying it there from now on.

If you haven't checked out Gordon's, you need to. No memberships, pork butt is like $1.29/lb for boneless. Picked this package up yesterday for breakfast sausage and buckboard bacon.

They have whole pork loins there. 81/19 ground beef is less than $2/lb. The only meat I don't buy there right now is brisket because I can get prime brisket at Costco for less than $3/lb. After smoking a prime brisket, I can't stand making choice anymore, lol, I've become a snob. Check it out, you may just save so much money that you will have to make more sausage and jerky and give it away....:biggrin:....let me know what time to stop and pick up what you want to unload next week when I go through Appleton again! :yahoo:

Oh, and if you want other primals, Costco has a bunch of different ones also.

Bladeguy

I was in Appleton yesterday, and I was extremely disappointed.....why, you ask? Well, here is the story, I love eye of round for making jerky.....imho it is the primo cut. I found top round on sale last week at a Piggly Wiggly, though, so I jumped on it at $2.99/lb. Yesterday, I stopped at Gordon's Food Service in Appleton, just off of College Ave. They have eye of round primal a for 2.65/lb if my memory serves me correct. I will be buying it there from now on.

If you haven't checked out Gordon's, you need to. No memberships, pork butt is like $1.29/lb for boneless. Picked this package up yesterday for breakfast sausage and buckboard bacon.

They have whole pork loins there. 81/19 ground beef is less than $2/lb. The only meat I don't buy there right now is brisket because I can get prime brisket at Costco for less than $3/lb. After smoking a prime brisket, I can't stand making choice anymore, lol, I've become a snob. Check it out, you may just save so much money that you will have to make more sausage and jerky and give it away....:biggrin:....let me know what time to stop and pick up what you want to unload next week when I go through Appleton again! :yahoo:

Oh, and if you want other primals, Costco has a bunch of different ones also.

Bladeguy

You know yesterday I was looking at GFS and kicking myself for it. Even PickNSave has eye of round and top round roast for 3.99 this week... one day late but did score some salmon for 4.99 (little scared but exp date or freeze by is 12-18) and got 2 lbs to make for the holidays.

Appreciate the advice

I picked up a couple of spare ribs at GFS a couple of weeks ago, opened them on the expiration date to smoke them......my wife asked a minute later if I passed gas, I smelled it too, but wasn't sure if it was my imagination. I rinsed them off good, but that smell would not go away, so I tossed them. Called GFS and told them what happened, I just brought the tag off of the cryovac in and they refunded my money. So I'm pleased with GFS right now.

Bladeguy

SA, Good looking jerky sir !

Adam looks like I have a good seat.
Richie

Should be tasty!

Nice slices Adam!
Thanks guys! I'll be doing more and I might need to do little thai pork jerky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky