WING EXPERIMENT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Well ive done a few cooks with my new SV and want to keep trying new things with it. I picked up a pack of wings for Saturday night and figured I would try them in the SV. After doing some research on how to do them I settled on a time and temp to get the results I was looking for. 155 for 2.5 hours. I planned on frying them after but everything i had read said to put them in the fridge uncovered overnight to dry the skin. Well I didnt have an over night because we had planned on eating them that night for dinner. So I thought i would hold them in the oven to dry the skin before frying. Then I thought if I'm going to do all that I might as well hold them in the smoker to dry the skin and add a little smoke to them. Seems like a whole lot of work for just some chicken wings but the actual hands on was minimal .

Started with discarding the wing tips and separating the drum from the flats. Simple salt and pepper and into the vac bags...in to the pot they go..
0111201724a.jpg

Took them out after 2.5 hours and you could tell they were really tender.
0111201856.jpg
0111201856c.jpg

Lit the AMNPS and set the smoker to 140. They went in for 2 hours to dry the skin before frying. I wanted to make sure the skin was dry so they would get crispy in the fryer. They were extremely delicate when taking them out of the bag and puting on to the rack.
0111202004b.jpg

After 2 hours I took them out of the smoker. They really took on a nice color and the skin dried nicely.
0111202137a.jpg
0111202138a.jpg

Next it was time for the fryer. I ran it hot just to crisp the skin without cooking too long and over cooking the wings. 400° oil for about 3 min.
0111202202.jpg

They came out perfectly crisp!
0111202154.jpg
0111202228.jpg

Crispy skin and clean bones! These turned out perfect . I forgot to take a pic of the clean bones but ive never had wings like this. Super juicy fall off the bone Smokey and very nice crisp skin. It was a process but it was worth trying out! Thanks for looking!

LIKE. Looks killer! I am big fan of multi stage stuff but I like spacing it out over a few days. Appears you lucked out but sometimes the smoke can taste rough if you put wet stuff in there. Another idea and even faster is to get a cheap clip on fan and dry them that way. 30m or so does it.

Reminds me I need a new fryer...

4.5 hours for wings WOW, but then again I can't argue with the results. Those pics look prefect.

Point for sure
Chris

Wings look good nice job! Never thought of SV'ing them but have tried out the smoke and fry method before and have always been good! Now you got me thinking I need to do some wings for the game tonight!

LIKE. Looks killer! I am big fan of multi stage stuff but I like spacing it out over a few days. Appears you lucked out but sometimes the smoke can taste rough if you put wet stuff in there. Another idea and even faster is to get a cheap clip on fan and dry them that way. 30m or so does it.

Reminds me I need a new fryer...
I did pat them dry first so maybe that helped. I was wondering if they would get a bitter taste or not. Or it could have lost a little during the frying. Either way they definitely came out tasty.

Those wings look really good! The only thing stopping me from trying these is the lack of a deep fryer.

I’m definitely hankering for some wings now!

Like!

Wings look good nice job! Never thought of SV'ing them but have tried out the smoke and fry method before and have always been good! Now you got me thinking I need to do some wings for the game tonight!
Thanks! It was deffinatly a process but fun to try out with good results.

Those wings look really good! The only thing stopping me from trying these is the lack of a deep fryer.

I’m definitely hankering for some wings now!

Like!
Thanks! If I had a nice size air fryer I would have tried that.

Travis I don't do SV and really hardly ever eat chicken,wings cost more then a whole bird its crazy. frying at 400 F I probably could have eaten them. Like
Richie

Travis I don't do SV and really hardly ever eat chicken,wings cost more then a whole bird its crazy. frying at 400 F I probably could have eaten them. Like
Richie
Your right its insane how much wings are. I used to buy birds for 85cents per lb. I would buy a bunch at one time and break them down myself. Really cuts the cost on the more expensive stuff like the breasts and wings. I would do about 10 each time. Thats when we would have wing night. 10 birds gets you 40 wings. a nice little reward for cuting chickens up that day. I need to start doing that again.

Reactions: Teal101
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky