Windows 11?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Me, too. But I keep getting those notifications wanting me to "upgrade"...
My laptop I7 processor is one of the few not on the list of support for 11. Apparently there is a workaround for it with some registry edit. I'll probably give it a go this winter. It's a grade A refurbished from Dell I got back in June for $200 with the I7 processor 16mb ram and a 256 SSD so even if I can't upgrade it I'll get my money's worth. It's just my bill paying and kitchen table google machine.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I have 7 on a laptop that don't really use and 10 on my desktop and wife's desktop.
Won't be upgrading to 11.
If 10 ever gets to the point where it is not usable, I will switch to Linux.

Reactions: normanaj
I run a Lenovo Chromebook. So Chrome OS which is Linux based.

Chris

I miss windows 98
I've got a couple copies . Even have a copy of 95 down there . Heck , I'm still running XP on a couple .
This one I'm using is 11 . Just different . Once you get used to it , it's fine . My other laptop is windows 7 . It tried to up grade to 10 a few years back . I restored it to an earlier point and that was the end of windows 10 .

I was a Win 7 guy and bought a new 'puter with 11 on it. Cussed it for awhile but the more I use it, the better I like it. It does have a lot of features that I haven't figured out yet but so far, it is a stable platform. It came with Office 365 for free trial and I did but the yearly service. I do a lot of documents and 365 is a real game changer to the good

It came with Office 365 for free trial and I did but the yearly service. I do a lot of documents and 365 is a real game changer to the good
I have LibreOffice installed and it works basically just like Microsoft Office. Best thing is It's free. I don't do a bunch of documents, but I use the spreadsheet quite a bit...

Good afternoon!
While doing a windows update this morning I was informed that I could update to Windows 11 for free.
Of course the word "free" throws up red flags, but maybe that's me.
Has anyone gone to 11? Is it worth it?
The Mrs. thinks I should but I hate to change something that still works.....
I didn't/wouldn't do it on my old laptop. A wise old IT guy once told me "if it ain't broke don't fix it.
That laptop went tits up shortly thereafter. My new laptop came with Win 11 and I feel no big difference. The Win 11 upgrade is based on "Min-spec" , Just because your old machine passed the "minspec" test, doesn't mean it is going to be happy with the upgrade plus you'll be bombarded with Windows try Office 365 fre for 30 days crap.

If 10 ever gets to the point where it is not usable, I will switch to Linux.
Don't wait.I've been a Linux user for over 20 years.

For ease of use I highly recommend any Debian based Linux distro and there are hundreds of flavors.Ubuntu/Mint distros have many user friendly flavors and are the most common user friendly ones.The RPM distros are a little more "complicated" when it comes to installing software from the repositories and installing raw tarball packages is a little daunting.

Regardless of what form of Linux you choose you will never ever have to worry about viruses and/or malware unless you personally input bad code thru the terminal or open a bad email and fall for a scam and give away your personal info.

The only reason I dual boot with Windows is just in case I want to play a game that only runs on Windows and that's only because I like to play old school DOS games and even then in most cases I can run those games under DOSBOX which has a Linux version.

And the biggest plus most distros can run the latest of almost every Linux version of the latest/greatest software there is out there and do it on PCs that are ancient by today's standards.

Last edited:
Don't wait.I've been a Linux user for over 20 years.

For ease of use I highly recommend any Debian based Linux distro and there are hundreds of flavors.Ubuntu/Mint distros have many user friendly flavors and are the most common user friendly ones.The RPM distros are a little more "complicated" when it comes to installing software from the repositories and installing raw tarball packages is a little daunting.

Regardless of what form of Linux you choose you will never ever have to worry about viruses and/or malware unless you personally input bad code thru the terminal or open a bad email and fall for a scam and give away your personal info.

The only reason I dual boot with Windows is just in case I want to play a game that only runs on Windows and that's only because I like to play old school DOS games and even then in most cases I can run those games under DOSBOX which has a Linux version.

And the biggest plus most distros can run the latest of almost every Linux version of the latest/greatest software there is out there and do it on PCs that are ancient by today's standards.
I have two servers running Debian Bookworm, and 2 Raspberry Pi's running same.
Yeah, I have some apps that aren't on Linux, which is why I'm procrastinating.

Reactions: normanaj
Don't think I need to worry about windows 11 LOL
Screenshot 2023-10-09 184645.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky