Will type S mortar degrade from heat on an open face BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

travasskavich

Original poster
Jan 21, 2023
I'm in the middle of building an outdoor kitchen and hadn't considered the need for refractory cement on my brick BBQ. This is how far along I am at this point. So there's no turning back. Will the type S mortar dissolve from the heat of an open face BBQ with a chimney or will I be okay? If I plaster the inside of the BBQ with refractory cement will it protect the build?
This is my first time building with brick.
The drums on the sides will be my smokers.

Attachments

• 20230121_161927.jpg
    20230121_161927.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 40
I really should know the answer to this with my material testing knowledge but I do not. So I looked it up.

Type N seems to be the heat resistant. But nothing I looks at disqualifies type S.

If you are placing this instead of fire brick I would be inclined to use Type N. You can build a form a a few inches away from the existing brick and place it that way. I would use welded wire for reinforcement, but that is just me I would rather overbuild than tear it out.

Anyway, in for the ride I look forward to seeing the result. Looks good so far.

Reactions: travasskavich
Top view, just remembered while I'm in the middle of my next course

Attachments

• 20230122_095459.jpg
    20230122_095459.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 32
There are thousands of 100+ years old fireplaces built long before the "specialty" concrete came along. Ever hear of one failing?

Yes. My coworker was just telling me how his buddy built a BBQ and it came apart because he used the wrong materials. I'm thinking it may have been a pizza oven. Which would need to sustain Temps around 700°.
I've built forges before and I know cement based products can explode. But that's when you're reaching 2000°+.
Just don't want to do it twice

I don't know how I just quoted myself into your comment lol. Figuring out this forum still

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky