Will this work? Cure #2 question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Late to the party. Been in the hospital for the last 6 weeks.
Ok, Myoglobin is responsible for the color of meat. In the raw meat Myoglobin is a very dark red. When first exposed to oxygen it changes to Oxymyoglobin and becomes that familiar bright red of fresh meat. Further time exposed and the Oxymyoglobin becomes Metmyoglobin with that brown color. While raw one form can be manipulated into another restoring the color, or as with Cure a permanent chemical change made. Once cooked well done, a denatured form of Metmyoglobin is formed and the meat will be brown regardless of what you do or add. As far as Botulism protection, adding cure #1 based on the weight of the Meat and Rice will get you there. Smoke at any temp that works for you...JJ

Note....Above I meant to say cure #1 based on meat and rice. That is likely more than needed as we are not using cure to set the meat color. Sorry...JJ
Edited the Post.

Chef JJ, which cure are you referring to? Cure #1 or cure #2? I'm assuming you are referring to cure #1, but I'm asking for clarification to be sure.

Inda- after cooking the pork butt and pork skins and adding rice and get it cool enough to stuff in casings are you running it thru grinder to stuff or using a sausage stuffer.

Found this post from a few years ago, had the same question as you. All smoked boudin I have bought from Lafayette to Lake Charles has the pink color to the meat. What the was the final result of smoking boudin? I am looking to make and smoke some this weekend.

I have thought about it.....believe me....
Iirc they gave their recipe to the foodnetwork. I have made it before, although I scaled down the recipe but it did taste exactly like the boudin I have gotten from them before.
Here's the recipe:
60 pounds Boston pork butt

6 pounds pork liver, cut into 4-inch cubes

6 yellow onions, halved

4 green bell peppers, halved and seeded

2 cups Cajun seasoning, such as Best Stop Cajun Seasoning

4 cups browning sauce, such as Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master

20 cups cooked medium-grain rice
You make it like would you would regular boudin. The only difference is you add the browning sauce to the stock after you cooked the pork in it and then add the stock/browning sauce to the pork/rice mix. I recommend using gravy master over kitchen bouquet. Now I'm hungry for boudin....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky