Will this wood be ok to smoke with

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
Part of a tree broke off. Obviously it needs to be cut down to size but I’m wondering if it would be good to use to cook with. Or just use in the fireplace. Thanks in advance.
F21F23DC-8538-49C7-8063-003F44A1D97B.jpeg

From what I can see of the leaves zoomed in, looks like a species of oak. Should be fine for smoking.
If you can, take a picture of one of the leaves and post that...should be able to identify the tree from that.

Hard to tell with the picture, are there any leaves left on the tree or branch? I find it is much easier to identify trees with their leaves. My dad had a BSc. in forestry and he could identify tree species without the leaves by looking at the bark, branch structure, the grain , unfortunately I cannot. Point being there are people out there that can. Any colleges/universities that might teach forestry in your area? An arborist might have some ideas. Some cities have arborist on staff. Even if you can’t find someone to identify the species now I would take it as firewood and do the research while the wood is seasoning. As you burn it as firewood the aroma might give you an idea if it would be suitable for smoking. Can you post pictures of the leaves attached to the branches, as you know, lots of knowledgeable people on this forum.

Not sure about the wood, but that green, gold and white lump growing on it should be burned immediately before it spreads. :emoji_laughing:

Chris

I’m pretty sure it’s an oak tree. If it were me I would trim off the moss, but who knows it may add flavor!
Al

I would guess it is Oak, but I would make sure I'd get rid of any of the Rot before using any of it.
And while doing that I would Mask up real good, because rotted wood can carry living fungus that can get into your lungs "Alive" and eventually kill you.
It come more frequently from Lathe turning Spalted Wood, but I'd be very careful of Chainsawing any Rotted wood.
I worked most of my life with wood, and rarely wore a mask, but if anything had been rotted or Spalted, I would wear a good quality mask.

Just My 2 Piasters,
Bear

I’m pretty sure it’s an oak tree. If it were me I would trim off the moss, but who knows it may add flavor!
Al
Ha you cut and sell wood and you have something your not sure of? :emoji_laughing:
However a leaf would help as stated above.

Warren
I am this very point in time suspicious about Ohio or people there from
12D3C3B3-50AB-472C-B96D-A68AB0BA7579.jpeg

Are those Buckeyes, or lumberjack nuts?

The tree looks a bit like Live Oak, but I don't know if your even in the region Live Oak grows.

I'm with the other fellas who recommend removing the rot, and Moss/ Bark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky