Wild Boar Salsiccia di Calabria Piccante (Hot Calabrian Dried Sausage)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Had about 2kg. of trim from the Berkshire leg after I extracted the Culatello. Since this leg was butchered american style, the cut was too deep in the leg to save the fiocco for drying whole so I used it along with the rumpeto and trim for making salami.

This salami was on my list to make. It is hands down the most popular and versatile small salami in Calabria. It is eaten fresh, and dried. Used in pastas, breakfasts, lasagna....you name it. It also has P.D.O. status so the recipe is fairly easy to find....though there are regional variations.

2kg. wild boar trimmed of all gristle, sinew, and connective tissue, 2kg. Berkshire ham trim, 1kg. Berkshire back fat..
IMG_20211025_221458785.jpg

I used the same plate as the Genoa, 8mm; Stuffed into 42mm casings.
IMG_20211026_162714875.jpg

I originally wanted to do a chain of 4" salsiccia but the bowl of casings I had in the fridge was pre cut to 16-18" and leftover from my last Napolitana salami so I just went with these. Got them elevated on a grate over a sheet pan wrapped in clear wrap to ferment at room temp. Using TSPX for this salami. Since the volume of Calabrian pepper powder is so high, I did not need to add any dextrose. Natural curve of the hog casing facing down so that once fermentation binds the mince, the salsiccia will hang straight in my chamber.

Last edited:
Good thing is that the 42mm casing only needs about 28 days to dry so they will be out of the chamber by the time the culatello is ready to hang to dry...

I’m impressed! Still a long ways to go before I’ll be able to get into making my own snacks/sausage. Points for sure!

Reactions: indaswamp
Two books...
The Art of Fermented Sausages
and
The Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages

Both by Stanley and Adam Marianski; best $40 buck you will spend on learning how to do it properly. Also, 2 guys and a cooler youtube channel. He covers techniques for fresh, smoked and dry cured salami. Lots of tricks and tips and recipes...

Reactions: bauchjw
Salsiccia di Calabria Piccante

800g. lean pork
200g. Pork Back fat

2.7% salt
0.3% cure #2 (use cure #1 if stuffing into casing smaller than 35mm)
0.2% cracked black pepper
0.4% hot Calabrian pepper powder
0.2% hot Calabrian pepper flakes
1.6% sweet Calabrian pepper powder
0.15% very coarse ground Fennel seed (or whole)
0.2% coarse ground coriander seed

5mL Dry red wine (I use Chianti)

Grind meat and fat thru 8 or 10mm plate

1 gram TSPX starter culture in 60mL distiller water. Do not add any dextrose! The Calabrian peppers have enough fructose and glucose to fuel fermentation to the safe zone of pH 5.3 or lower.

Stuff into hog casing 32-35mm or 38-42mm; dry @ 55*F, 82%RH 3-5 weeks...

Last edited:
Checked the pH on the salsiccia today. After 48hrs. it dropped to pH5.10 which is perfect! Just the natural sugars in the peppers, no dextrose added. :emoji_thumbsup:

IDS, I'm in on this project too, looks delicious!
Thanks Crazy! These should finish in about 28 days. I went with something cased in small dia. casing that should finish drying before the culatello finishes curing and will need to be moved to the drying chamber.

The Hot Calabrian finished drying Monday Nov. 22nd. to 42% weight loss; but that was the day I returned home from my hunting trip. I peeled the casing, cut into chunks and vac sealed on Tuesday.
IMG_20211122_173655221.jpg

Reactions: zwiller
Just swung by to say hi. Hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving.

I like what you're doing here Inda - Living in the South, I figured you would have some access to real wild boar to attempt this one. I've been looking at photos of the Sicilian version for months wishing I had some boar, but those swine have not invaded this area yet. Your version looks perfect. I can imagine that it has some significant heat too. Well done!

Just swung by to say hi. Hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving.

I like what you're doing here Inda - Living in the South, I figured you would have some access to real wild boar to attempt this one. I've been looking at photos of the Sicilian version for months wishing I had some boar, but those swine have not invaded this area yet. Your version looks perfect. I can imagine that it has some significant heat too. Well done!
Thanks Mmmm Meat. Took me a while to feel comfortable making salumi and salami with wild hog. I needed to be sure about killing any trich. that might be present. But freezing below 0*F for a month will kill all but one strain, and that strain lives only in the cold North, not the Hot Southeast.

When is the taste test? Will volunteer as a taster!
Looks great 👍.
Thanks rjob...

One thing I learned is that with the high amount of pepper powder I used, a higher fat percentage will give a better mouth feel. Around 30% would have been better. The pepper powders give a slight chaulky mouth feel which the higher fat percentage will counter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky