Wild Boar Ham and A UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shadowwalker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Hey guys and gals I am smoking a 10 to 12 lb wild boar ham sat for the first time. Any help on smoking times, temps for slicing and pulling, and brining would be appreciated.

Thanxxx

shadowwalker

Are you trying to make a true ham or are you just smoking that cut of meat? If you are making a true ham it needs to be brined for a long time and wouldn't be ready for this weekend. Or are you looking to make like a pulled pork style roast? Just trying to figure out what you are looking to do for sure.

pulled pork I am thinking since I dont have a long time to brine it

Then you would smoke it like a pork shoulder. Smoke at 225 until IT is 165. Wrap in foil with some liquid and take to 195 for slicing or 205 for pulling. Let it rest for a couple of hours foiled and wrapped in towels in a dry cooler before slicing or pulling

Then you would smoke it like a pork shoulder. Smoke at 225 until IT is 165. Wrap in foil with some liquid and take to 195 for slicing or 205 for pulling. Let it rest for a couple of hours foiled and wrapped in towels in a dry cooler before slicing or pulling
I'm with Al on everything he said.

I would also suggest NO injecting, and don't insert a meat probe in it until it has been in the smoker at 225˚/230˚ for 3 or 4 hours, so you don't have to worry about getting it through the Danger Zone in 4 hours, especially since it is 10 to 12 pounds & wild.

And whatever you do, don't forget the Qview!!!!

Bear

I've never had wild boar. It is anything like other wild game such as venison or elk where they are very lean and don't have any marbleized fat in their meat? If so you will want to make sure it doesn't get to dry. I'm just not sure what wild boar is like so maybe that isn't an issue at all.

Thank you all for the answers I appreciate you and this great site!

Looking forward to seeing this one. I have had wild boar a couple of times and loved it but have not had it smoked. 

I just have to ask if it's been frozen for 30 day's if I remember right to dispatch bugs. After that treat it like a pig. I do agree the wild ones are alot leaner and gameier (SP) Wouldn't hurt to wrap it in bacon!
icon_idea.gif

I just have to ask if it's been frozen for 30 day's if I remember right to dispatch bugs. After that treat it like a pig. I do agree the wild ones are alot leaner and gameier (SP) Wouldn't hurt to wrap it in bacon!
icon_idea.gif
Good point!

I read about that, and I do it with my Salmon, but that is only because I don't cook it to 160˚.

I think that may be the same with wild boar---If you are going to cook (smoke) it to 160˚, you don't have to freeze it to ZERO for 30 days.

However I'm going by memory, as I have not read about that for quite awhile.-----A 62 year old memory can be suspect !  
biggrin.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky