Wild Boar Charcuterie; Coppa, Lomo, Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So, I recently was gifted 2 wild hogs...
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/processing-day-2022.310934/#post-2269299

Both are young sows and very lean but very clean. No off smell to the fat when I fried a piece in a frying pan. Been eating deer corn for a month or so.

I pulled out the 2 Coppa & Loins off the larger hog to dry cure after a nap in the deep freeze for 40 days to kill off any Trichinea.

Coppa:
IMG_20211101_085508303.jpg

IMG_20211101_085536822.jpg

Loin:
IMG_20211101_091815908.jpg

That is the whole loin from the 7th rib back to the hip joint...

I set aside 4 hams, 2 loins, 4 tenderloins from both hogs for salami. I'm thinking some Calabrese Sopressata and finnochiona. The rest will be made into sausage or snack sticks.

Last edited:
Reactions: kruizer and bauchjw
Be watching . I was " gifted " a couple wild hog quarters . I could tell it wasn't treated right in the field . Even frozen it had an odor .
That's some good clean meat you have there .

The long freeze will kill of trachea?
So...I've done a ton of research on this topic...and what I have found is that deep freeze to -5*F or below for a month will kill all but 1 subspecies of trichinea, and that subspecies does not live in the hot southeast...it can only live in the cold north. So though I feel safe with the procedure, it is not 100% if you live in an area where that subspecies is prevalent.

Be watching . I was " gifted " a couple wild hog quarters . I could tell it wasn't treated right in the field . Even frozen it had an odor .
That's some good clean meat you have there .
These were actually two of the dirtiest hogs I have ever cleaned...on the outside anyways... I had to run them to the car wash before field dressing them. Dragging a pig through the swamp to the boat will do that.....they were muddy.
Both hogs were shot in the head. That goes a long way towards keeping the meat clean on the inside. Might be some of the cleanest meat on a wild hog I have ever fooled with. I also received then within an hour of the kill and got to work gutting quickly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky