Wiener Makin!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
I've been trying a lot of different hotdog recipes lately look for that one I could make my go to dog. Well I'm still trying. This past weekend I tried a wiener recipe that I found on wedlinyomowe.com

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/wiener  

It's a real basic recipe with salt, cure #1 and 5 spices. I also used what I had for meat, some 80/20 ground beef and pork shoulder at a 50/50 mix. Since I was going to emulsify it ( the original recipe is a triple grind) I added some nonfat dried milk to help absorb the extra water that I'd be using while making meat paste.

f64fcee1_IMG_0426.jpg

Then into 24-26 sheep casings. And into the frig for a day before smoking

a6d1246d_IMG_0427.jpg

0883f67e_IMG_0429.jpg

Warmed smoked them for 3 hours with some pecan then tossed then into a 175° water bath to finish them off 154°ish

c0480af8_IMG_0436.jpg

After they got to temp I gave them another bath in cold water to chill them down then hung them to bloom for an hour and back into the frig.

6cdc0a33_IMG_0437.jpg

If anyone is looking for a dog recipe this is a very taste wiener in my opinion. I'll be doing another batch as soon as I can.

Made a few mistakes with these. They're a little on the fatty side, next time I'll use a lean cut of beef but still stay with the 50/50ratio.

If ya noticed some of the dogs have stripes on them that's cause they were touching each other while in the smoker. That’s a little embarrassing, But stuff happens

. And I need to take more time linking them there's some real odd ones in there.

That's about it, hope ya enjoyed my wieners!

Great looking dogs Dan.  Did you stuff them loose and then twist them to size? Definitely something on my list......

Great looking dogs Dan.  Did you stuff them loose and then twist them to size? Definitely something on my list......
Yeah Boykjo, while I'm pulling them off the stuffing horn I like to make sure they have a little give by squeezing them , I wouldn't call it loose. Then when I'm done stuffing I twist them up.

Just a follow up and conclusion, I fryed up a few of the rejects tonight for taste testing and it was flavorful, but the next go around I might pump the spice mix up 10% and add an extra pinch of mace. thats my plan today, maybe after I eat a dozen more It will change.

Here's a few pic's of sme pan fried ones, (they should taste better on the grill)
f15d99b5_IMG_0445.jpg

here's a sliced view;

c496dbb3_IMG_0451.jpg

Last edited:
And a bite-view, For some reason I could'nt add it to the last thread

4a307296_IMG_0455_1.jpg

Thanks again for checking them out and all the great complements....I hope you enjoyed them

Last edited:

drool.gif

Fantastic looking dogs!

Definitely on my "to do next time" list. I love hot dogs but here downunder it is impossible to get proper dogs. All of them contain lamb/mutton meat. I guess it is acquired taste, I personally cannot stand lamb meat in any kind of smoked product.

Thanks for inspiration.

PS: on the right hand side on the platter (2nd pic), some stuffed wieners are looking little bit different, or is it just light angle?

Dang man where is the recipe? Those gotta be mighty tasty

Those look good!  I just got up the courage to try a bologna, and it turned out ok.

But wieners? That would take it to the next level.

Thanks for posting.  Sheep casings are on my list.

Good luck and good smoking!

PS: on the right hand side on the platter (2nd pic), some stuffed wieners are looking little bit different, or is it just light angle?
Laszio, I forgot to mention those. They're a small trial version of what I thought would be a pastrami dog. They were not so good.

Dan,

Polcyn's and Ruhlman's book Charcuterie, has an All Beef Hot Dog recipe.  In this post: http://egullet.org/p1266149, Ruhlman said that he wasn't happy with the original recipe and searched for a new recipe/method to produce a hotdog at home that more closely resembles something of the big good producers (such as Vienna Beef).  Newer revisions of the book, I believe have the updated recipe, but mine is an older copy.

Ruhlman worked with an eGullet member to test the recipe and that user detailed the test here: http://egullet.org/p1266258

Just thought you might enjoy.  I made the All Beef Dogs using the updated recipe and they were very good.  I made a 25 lb batch and it was a lot of work. After doing all the emulsifying with my food processor for this and also making a 8 lb Mortadella around the same time, I got turned off of making anymore emulsified products.

Scott

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky