Why would You Tube lie to me (12lbs Pork loin)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KM0AGA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
This is my first lengthy cook on my new SM066. Every BBQ channel I watched on You Tube said pork loins take around 3-4 hours at 225. I cut the loin into thirds and seasoned each piece with a different flavor rub.

I just pulled mine at 2.5 hours and the temp was reading 150 to 160. I checked all three with my Thermapen. They have been FTCd. I have ribs on there as well. They by all accounts seem to be cooking properly.

I am trying to learn this smoker without all of my BBQ accoutrements. This thing is way more efficient than my Webber.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Are you sure you had loins and not tender loins? I cook pork loins and chops at 250* and pull it when the internal temp is about 138*. I'll let it rest covered on the counter and the carryover will bring the temp up to 145*. Perfect for me, much past that and it starts to dry out.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
It was a full 12lbs loin. I cut it into thirds.

This is my first lengthy cook on my new SM066. Every BBQ channel I watched on You Tube said pork loins take around 3-4 hours at 225. I cut the loin into thirds and seasoned each piece with a different flavor rub.

I just pulled mine at 2.5 hours and the temp was reading 150 to 160. I checked all three with my Thermapen. They have been FTCd. I have ribs on there as well. They by all accounts seem to be cooking properly.

I am trying to learn this smoker without all of my BBQ accoutrements. This thing is way more efficient than my Webber.
Never cook by time. Your cooker is different than mine. Your atmosphere conditions and temperature are different than mine. Your temp swings are different than mine. Cook to meat IT or probe tenderness but never to time. It’s not like cookies in the house oven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky