Why is my Turkey Black?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I looked over the Camp Chep website, they at least seem to be responsible, probably are, probably.

Lets get details from you, so we can  figure what you got goin on, so your next product comes out good.

Stuff happens, the next one will be DEE LISH.      Marc

IF you can wipe (some) of the black off, then it is soot.  

I'd try different pellets - make sure all the old pellets are out of there.

Even if your grill says 200 and it is cooking at 350 it shouldn't burn a bird to black in an hour.

Rather that goofing up a full bird - test with boneless skinless chicken breasts.  They are very cheap.  You only need to cook one at time, for testing.

Yes, definitely soot.  I was reading on another forum and found that it might actually be the smoker.  Seems GMG older Daniel Boones like mine have an issue with the controller that could cause this.  Working with them now to get this fixed and I will post back my results.

On another note, I finished cooking the bird and then washed off as much of the soot as I could and then put it under the broiler to brown the skin a bit.  Helped a little with the appearance.  It tasted wonderful.  We still ate it.  

Thought this might be helpful to some folks.  I got this from GMG Technical Support.  As for me, I have cleaned out the fire pot and made sure #7 & 8 are not the problem.  Going to give it another try tonight.  If it still doesn't work, I'll be requesting a new controller.

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd come back and let you all know what happened.  I contacted GMG and they gave me the list that I post previously.  Nothing worked, so I contacted them again and they were very good about sending out the controller.  That did the trick!  I now have golden brown chicken!  Yay!

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd come back and let you all know what happened.  I contacted GMG and they gave me the list that I post previously.  Nothing worked, so I contacted them again and they were very good about sending out the controller.  That did the trick!  I now have golden brown chicken!  Yay!
That's Great !!

A Golden Brown Turkey or Chicken is much Prettier!!!
icon14.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky