Why don’t bbq restaurants wrap?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

88nitro305

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
Ok so I’m gonna smoke ribs for the 1st time on my WSM. I’ve been smoking on my 22in Kettle for the past 5 years. I’ve wrapped all the time but once. How come you see bbq joints with massive pits never wrap there meat? Are they doing something different so they don’t have to? I want to make them as authentic as possible because living in Vermont we don’t have any bbq joints.. hopefully this makes sense and maybe I can get an idea of it all. Thanks

Depending on the type of smoker you are using and the temps you are cooking lots of people do not wrap their ribs. I have done it both ways on my set up and i like to wrap for about an hour because the ladies of my house prefer the more tender, close to FOTB as possible. This can be done without wrap but you cook it longer and/or higher temps (a lot depends on what you are using to cook with). I would guess most restaurants (and this will vary per bbq joint) will cook at higher temp or a bit longer because they don't want to use the manpower to wrap/unwrap ribs all day.
if anyone has any inside knowledge i would love to hear it too.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: 88nitro305
I use to wrap. Don’t do it any more. In most instances restaurant equipment has much better smoker temperature control than our backyard units. They also cook to a precise IT temp of the rib often mentioned by our pal Smokin Al. B

Reactions: 88nitro305
Thanks for the reply’s peeps! My wife doesn’t care if the meat is fall off the bone, more about the flavor then anything else. Me I don’t want to wrap them cuz I want that authentic flavor with all the bark! Both of us are also kinda getting away from the sauce seen and sometimes the rubs.. but we are addicted to SNS bbq sauce! Went to the place when she was out at Nellis this past winter and it’s amazing sauce! But think I’ll keep them unwrapped cook at 225 until the bend is there.

Unless you see the ribs on the smoker the whole time they are being smoked at a restaurant, I think there may be a good chance they have the ribs almost done & holding them wrapped up, then when someone orders they warm them up on the smoker/grill. Could be wrong, but someone like Chef Jimmy J would be able to give you a better answer.
As said above I cook my ribs to temp so wrap or no wrap they are still done at 195 for our taste. Most times I do wrap them, cause that is the way my wife likes them the best!
Al

Reactions: bdskelly
;)Does better temperature control mean they are cooking with gas
;)Does better temperature control mean they are cooking with gas

The BBQ joint that I deliver packages to has a big gas smoker that he puts big splits of wood in path of the big flame. He makes a huge area of businesses smell great. U can get more even temps on propane becuase u have easier control with a valve adjusting propane flow but running my stick burner is easy to maintain right where I want it somtimes it goes 25 degrees over but I'm not to worried about it.

Unless you see the ribs on the smoker the whole time they are being smoked at a restaurant, I think there may be a good chance they have the ribs almost done & holding them wrapped up, then when someone orders they warm them up on the smoker/grill. Could be wrong, but someone like Chef Jimmy J would be able to give you a better answer.
As said above I cook my ribs to temp so wrap or no wrap they are still done at 195 for our taste. Most times I do wrap them, cause that is the way my wife likes them the best!
Al
Nailed it for a lots of places Al. If you go to Memphis and eat ribs at the famous Rendezvous that is exactly what they do. They are warmed back up on a charcoal grate. B

Nailed it for a lots of places Al. If you go to Memphis and eat ribs at the famous Rendezvous that is exactly what they do. They are warmed back up on a charcoal grate. B
Ahh didn’t know that but it makes sense now..

Al

Yeah, a lot of places will do that. Others will have insulated warmers where they can wrap and keep at temp for hours. I know Franklin BBQ wraps brisket in butcher paper and holds it in warmers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky