Whole prime beef loin top (New York)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
Costco is selling whole prime new york for $12.99/lb and offering $25 off at checkout.

If I buy one and cut it in thirds, each piece is 4 lbs, how long can I expect it to take to smoke it? Say I want to go.to.120° IT.

Will this take on smoke better then if one smokes individual steaks? My thought is, its a much bigger piece of meat and will take some longer time to cook to IT of 120°. Then cut it thick and sear the cut on the grill.

I wouldn't think so. If you cut into steaks they would need less time to reach target temp so in turn would recieve less smoke

Nothing wrong with smoking steaks though. I do it all the time then reverse sear. Usually around an hour give or take on a steak. If you go that route cut them thick

The the whole prime loin top. Will be cut into 3 pieces, two for the freezer and one for the last night of hanukkah tomorrow night.
PXL_20211205_020124777.jpg

PXL_20211205_022604762.jpg

The piece for tomorrow night. Is spiced up with salt, pepper, and garlic in the refrigerator uncovered until tomorrow at 1pm. If I should cover while sitting overnight, please let me.know.

i left the fat cap on and will smoke fat cap up unless someone tells me otherwise.

Sorry I seem to be a day late, but to answer your questions. Leave the fat cap on, and I would have covered it for the overnight rest in the fridge. I wouldn't want it absorbing any other aroma's that are in the fridge. That's just me - other folks opinions may vary.

Chris

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
We LOVE smoked NY roast here..... I would just smoke it at 225 till IT hits 135 and then let it rest a bit and slice.....this is one I did a few years ago. Served with a nice Au Jus it is on par with prime rib.
2BC4089E-305C-490A-8107-07DE0DAB6273.jpeg

Ps I reverse seared this one, hence the little gray, I don’t reverse sear them anymore, just smoke and rest them....

Sorry I seem to be a day late, but to answer your questions. Leave the fat cap on, and I would have covered it for the overnight rest in the fridge. I wouldn't want it absorbing any other aroma's that are in the fridge. That's just me - other folks opinions may vary.

Chris
Not a day late, i will smoke it this afternoon. It is my garage refrigerator and unless bottles of beer emit oder, i'm not worried about it.

Reactions: negolien
We LOVE smoked NY roast here..... I would just smoke it at 225 till IT hits 135 and then let it rest a bit and slice.....this is one I did a few years ago. Served with a nice Au Jus it is on par with prime rib.

Ps I reverse seared this one, hence the little gray, I don’t reverse sear them anymore, just smoke and rest them....
I really dont know how long it will take to smoke, Jake above says 2 to 3 hours, and if it is done too early and I need to warm it up a bit, I will reverse sear it. Otherwise it just gets wrapped and into a cooler to rest.

I read somewhere here that it can be wrapped and put in a warm oven if it has to sit too long, will just have to see.I

Your roast looks.awesome. I've got two more waiting for an occasion, say new years. 🎇 🎉

Reactions: TNJAKE
2-3 hours seem about right. If your oven will go down to 140 you can hold it, I hold mine for 35-40 mine uncovered covered will keep it cooking....

ps in fact I prefer to hold it in the oven for at least 30 min! It allows for timing to work out....

2-3 hours seem about right. If your oven will go down to 140 you can hold it, I hold mine for 35-40 mine uncovered covered will keep it cooking....

ps in fact I prefer to hold it in the oven for at least 30 min! It allows for timing to work out....

So, my oven has a warm setting that goes down to 140°. So when done, put it in the oven for 30 minutes, or so uncovered, to wait for the latkes to finish?

In the warm oven it goes then finish your sides.....once you perfect the done early and rest at temp you will alway have perfectly timed meals.....be sure to post some pics! Got my fingers crossed for ya

Not sure if it is best to keep tagging onto the end of this thread or start a new one. Here is the finished product. I did not reverse sear the roast. From civilsmoker civilsmoker advice when done I put it in a warming oven for 45 min at 140° to wait for the rest of the meal.

Total cook time was 2hrs and 57 min.

PXL_20211206_043409163.jpg

PXL_20211206_043545142.jpg

Meat was done to perfection, probably the most juicy roast I have ever eaten. And the smoke flavor, hickory, was great. Nothing to complain about. Thanks everyone for all.of the advice that got me here.

Not sure if it is best to keep tagging onto the end of this thread or start a new one. Here is the finished product. I did not reverse sear the roast. From civilsmoker civilsmoker advice when done I put it in a warming oven for 45 min at 140° to wait for the rest of the meal.

View attachment 518247

View attachment 518248
Meat was done to perfection, probably the most juicy roast I have ever eaten. And the smoke flavor, hickory, was great. Nothing to complain about. Thanks everyone for all.of the advice that got me here.
You nailed it! Nice job

View attachment 518247

View attachment 518248

Bingo, I would say that is pure perfection! Next time if you want a bit more color on the crust...take a tsp of sugar and sprinkle it over the outside right before you put it on the smoker and maybe bump the smoker to 230 to 235.... It will amp up the crust just a margin more..... The beauty now is you can always plan on 3 hrs for a perfect roast without fail....It simplifies timing and making a meal over the top good!

Oh and I am a believer of holding at serve temp to rest. Try this with brisket, do it fast at 275 then hold at 170 for 3 hrs or so and it makes magic and you don't even have to get up early to have brisket for dinner.... I do the same for pulled pork as well......

I just picked up a whole prime NY roast this am from Costco, $25 off making it $10/lb....going to do a roast like this and some steaks!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky