Whole prime beef loin top (New York)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bingo, I would say that is pure perfection! Next time if you want a bit more color on the crust...take a tsp of sugar and sprinkle it over the outside right before you put it on the smoker and maybe bump the smoker to 230 to 235.... It will amp up the crust just a margin more..... The beauty now is you can always plan on 3 hrs for a perfect roast without fail....It simplifies timing and making a meal over the top good!

I just picked up a whole prime NY roast this am from Costco, $25 off making it $10/lb....going to do a roast like this and some steaks!!!

If I bump the temp of smoker to 230 it will be done much faster, My intention of cooking it for 3hrs was to attempt to have more smoke flavor then if it were done in 2hrs. Two hours would have been better for me, The entire cook was done in the dark, I do have lights on my patio, but still was dark, and cold at about 34 degrees.

Now i have to go out and clean it all up. Wasn't going to do that at 11:30 last night.

If I bump the temp of smoker to 230 it will be done much faster, My intention of cooking it for 3hrs was to attempt to have more smoke flavor then if it were done in 2hrs. Two hours would have been better for me, The entire cook was done in the dark, I do have lights on my patio, but still was dark, and cold at about 34 degrees.

Now i have to go out and clean it all up. Wasn't going to do that at 11:30 last night.
230 won't make much diff in the over all time (again only a crust enhancer, although yours didn't look like it need much enhancing). If you want a little more smoke make sure it is cold right from the fridge vs out on the counter. That extra couple of degrees cooler will help. The other thing that will add more smoke is adding a pellet tube. It will take smoke right till you pull it. Proteins will start slowing on taking smoke at the 135 ish mark and all but stop taking it (it smoke ring not crust/surface smoke) at 145 to 150 ish mark....

PS still a nice cook in the dark with cold outside temps!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky