Whole Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burm1000

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Salina KS
Smoked a chicken yesterday.

1. Brined - 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup light brown sugar
2. Spatchcock Style
3. Fergolicious BBQ SPG rub
4. Smoked on WSM with hickory chunks 275 for about 3 hours then bumped to 325 to finish off. I basted with a couple of tablespoons and melted butter and and more rub mixed in a few times towards the end. Pulled at 165 degrees in breast.
5. Wife and I enjoyed the leg and thigh. See pic, one pulled off when I was removing it from the smoker which made doing the same to the other side an easy decision.
6. Leftover plans include wife's chicken salad and probably some chicken quesadillas.
7. The last picture is a graph of the temps from my ThermoWorks app. I have the Billows fan and Signals controller. I use it about half the time with the WSM. You don't need it but sometimes is is nice to be able to bump the temp on demand or set it and leave for several hours without worrying about wind conditions etc.

62282453543__77C3600D-01D0-4521-BCEB-DF0235252CC8.JPG
Chicken 1.jpg
Chicken 2.jpg
Temp Pic.PNG

Looks awesome! Billows did a nice job keeping temp consistent. That's gonna make for some great leftovers!

That looks amazing. I've been wanting to do a bird for a bit now. I think I'll follow your recipe.

Looks real good from here.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky