Who uses beer IN the sausage instead of water??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
My Mom always made her Polish sausage with beer, not water. Granted, this was many years before all the craft beers available today. I tried to do a search about using beer vs water, but didn't find much. Most comments had to do with boiling brats in beer.

How many use beer instead of water? If you do use it, any kind of beer you prefer? Mom used what was cheap and on sale.... I would think anything would be better than generic blue label beer, but what do I know??

I did some texas style hot links that used beer in them so it's certainly doable. I should try using some hard cider in pork sausage, give it an apple flavour for breakfast links..

Darn it, giving me ideas..!

I've made plenty of sausages with beer. Have a Northern UP Michigan Brat recipe form a friends son and it uses Guinness Dark beer in it. Also uses duck eggs instead of chicken eggs....
My favorite though would have to be texas hot links and brats. Got to have beer in texas hot links IMO.

Yah I like the taste of the Budweiser in the Hot links.

Really am thinking of using hard cider in place of water for breakfast sausage to see how it turns out.

Reactions: fivetricks
Johnsonville makes "beer brats" with beer as one of the listed ingredients.

Yah I like the taste of the Budweiser in the Hot links.

Really am thinking of using hard cider in place of water for breakfast sausage to see how it turns out.

Man Tom, that's another great fruit idea I'm going to steal one of these days :-)

Keep them coming!

Man Tom, that's another great fruit idea I'm going to steal one of these days :-)

Keep them coming!

Well let me know if you do it before I do! There's a butcher near me that does apple cinnamon sausage. I'm willing to bet he actually uses apple sauce in the sausage.

Why not but Tom anything would taste better than Budweiser.

Warren

Well back when I could drink much, if there wasn't any good ciders offered, I just ordered budlight. Despite living in WI..I hate miller. LOL

We used to poke some holes in our brats and then soak them in beer for a few hours before grilling. That gives you the option to experiment with different beers.

On a related note, we have a local guy who shows up at all the farmers markets who has a variety of pretty interesting sausage ingredients. Here is a partial list that perhaps will give you some more ideas:

Cowboy Sausage Ingredients

Note that instead of beer, many of his sausages include wine, as already suggest above as another alternative to beer (although I do like beer in & with my sausages).

Thanks All. Back in the day when I would visit Michigan, I remember a beer called Strohs.... I wonder if I can find that in Calif. Not that I would use Bud Light (being the #1 beer and all), but I will have to mosey down to BevMo and see what they have. I have seen and heard about wine. My Mom was partial to Sweet Vermouth and I KNOW I am not going to try that in ANYTHING.

The Cowboy Sausage looks interesting, especially The Hooker....that is bathed in bourbon... Hmmmmm

Don't confuse rankings by sales . Bud light and water , are just about the same thing .

Thanks All. Back in the day when I would visit Michigan, I remember a beer called Strohs.... I wonder if I can find that in Calif. ... The Cowboy Sausage looks interesting, especially The Hooker....that is bathed in bourbon... Hmmmmm
No Strohs out here. Back in 1970, when I came out from Chicago to California to go to school, I would bring a suitcase filled with Coors back to Chicago, because back then, Coors wasn't distributed east of the Rockies. Then, when I came back to California, I'd fill the suitcase with Strohs (a Detroit beer, but easily available in Chicago).

Everyone seems to value those things they can't get ...

Speaking for myself, I was never much of a fan of Coors, but I liked Strohs and do miss it out here.

Heh. I just bought a 6er of strohs a couple of weeks ago for old times sake. Not that good lol. Reminded me of miller.or Coors light, but without the flavor. Closer to milwaulkee I suppose.

There is some debate about beer being acidic and reacting with cure...

I am a certified beer judge and have homebrewed 25 years and doubt I will ever add beer to sausage but admit WI brats hit the spot now and then. Also, Old Milwaukee Light is my favorite light lager. It's made by Pabst and one of the last American lager breweries. Lots of folks don't realize Bud/Miller/Coors are not American.

Reactions: geostriata
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky