Who Smokes Venison ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

camocook

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Phila. Pa.
I Still Have Several Different Cuts, Steaks, Chops, Small Roasts,even Some Shanks. I Use It All. Being Very Lean Would You Perhaps Lard It Or Wrap It In Bacon? I Know That Grinding About 20% Bacon With It Makes A Good Burger.

i smoke it all the best sucess has to be the roast i always wrap in bacon also like a marinade to help out but with little time just rub and put bacon on and roll

I smoke venison a lot. And yes, bacon helps. Cut slits in the meat and stuff some bacon into the slits.
BTW, if it's not a problem for you, maybe next time you could post a question in the appropriate category. Makes it easier on the moderators. They don't have to keep moving threads around if they're in the proper place to begin with.

Thanks Guys. And Gunslinger , I'm Still Learning My Way Around The Site. But This Won't Happen Again.

No skin off my nose brother. I used to moderate a huge forum and it's nightmarish to have to move things, because you have to read each and every thread. This particular forum is almost brilliantly laid out to not have to do that. But us members need to help when we can.

I like to smoke the whole shoulder leave the fat on if present. if not i like to use salt pork and garlic stuffed in slits in the meat. and i smoke it REALLY slow around 200.

Been thinking about blowing the spots off one myself
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

P.E.T.A.
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Happy Smoking

Hey Gunslinger ... you got any recipe ideas for venison that you would like to share?

My brother sometimes brings me some. Last year, I smoked a rump that he said was the best he ever had ( I think it had a lot of room for improvement) and now after being in SMF for awhile, I know I can do better.

What say you friend?

You've put me on the spot here.
frown.gif

Do you want any ole recipe? Or BBQ specific?
After being on this forum for a few months, it's almost unbelievable that there could be anymore BBQ recipes, but then I am constantly amzed at what folks come up with and post.
I do have a great chili recipe that I use the back-straps in. (ATTN: DEER HUNTERS-PLEASE DO NOT KILL ME FOR NOT DIPPING MY TENDERLION IN FLOUR AND FRYING. BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING
icon_lol.gif
)
If you want it, let me know.

Gunslinger!!!!! You're Going To Waste Back Straps On Chili !!!!! Sacrilege!!!!! Try The Shoulder Or Chunks Of The Hind.

I've grilled a few hundred pounds of venison over the years but have never smoked any...hmmm...I believe I'll have to give it a try with the next one.

I knew that was coming.
I do 3 things with deer. Ground, jerky and what ever I want to with the tenderloins.
This was the first year in MANY that I didn't deer hunt. And still ended up with over 200 pounds in the freezer.
And never use the word "waste" until you've had my chili.
icon_smile.gif

I like to grill the backstraps like a filet S&P then on the grill. the only problem is you really should take to at least MW

Dont feel to bad Gunslinger.One of the guys at work had me make Jerky for him out of the backstraps.Boy did he take some flack for that.

Hey Gunslinger ... have you got a BBQ recipe that I can dazzle folks with?
Seriously ... would appreciate any tips to make the best of any venison that comes my way.

Thanks,
Squeezy

Well, some of the best recipes I've used are posted here. I do have a rub that is the best I've ever had and I think it is unique. That is to say, I don't believe any one's ever done it. That's a heck of a statement to make too. I hope I'm right. But I'm saving it for a competition, or I might even use it at the gathering. But I won't let it out until I know what others think.
Check the wild game threads and make sure to set it to go back to the beginning of the forum. There are some great recipes for venison there.

when i did hunt i used to do the usuall steaks and chops but the last couple of deer i've processed i made into bologna..i'm still looking for the recipe we used to post it.

i would like to get some deer meat for some bologna to smoke cure it so i'll probably have to get a license this year

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky