Who invented.......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralphed

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Beloit, OH
The charcoal briquette? (I read it on a bag of lump charcoal a long time ago)

I bet everybody here knows, but I run into a lot of folks outside grilling who don't.

ralphed

DANG!!

I read that it was Henry Ford.

I guess you never stop learnin.

Thanks,

ralphed

Some things get lost in history.  Much history is according to the person telling it?

Charcoal has been around for a few years.  Briquettes too.

Ford and Kingsford certainly brought them to our attention in a big way.

Thomas Crapper didn't invent the flush toilet.  It had been around a long time.  But he did successfully improve and market the little puppy?

Amazing about how much history needs Paul Harvey and "The Rest of the Story"?

Good luck and good smoking.

The real start of briquettes actually was in Japan and China way long ago.

Ford, Edison, and Kingsford brought them to the Consumer.

Charcoal has been around for a few years.  Briquettes too.
Hey Venture

Those few years you mentioned---that would be back to the middle ages??  LOL  When they made charcoal by building a huge pile of wood, covering it with dirt and setting fire to it.  The dirt smothered the fire and left it smoldering.  The biggest (and TRUE) danger was that the charcoal maker had to climb up on the pile to ensure there were no fractures or leaks in the dirt covering.  On occasion, the pile would give out under his weight.  Well, I'm thinking you can imagine just what happened next--yep, BBQ

Gary

Well, it certainly goes back to antiquity. And there seem to be no geographic boundaries.

Papa San made a buck or two by making charcoal and selling it to us by the gunny sack.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky