Who here has a Char-Griller AKORN Auto Kamado?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
it does look like an amazingly efficient and super insulated grill. in the videos that i watched the auto temp control with the fan looked to work well too
The auto Akorn is basically an IVC with a factory ATC. Extremely efficient. Doesn't put on a strong smoke flavor unless you let the wood smolder though. I've found that handfuls of wood chips give a better flavor than chunks for this reason.

I ordered one from Home Depot and not all the screws on the hinge holding top to body would work. I emailed Char-griller as they refuse to take phone calls. It took over a week for a new body to arrive, again 3 out of 4 screws would go in but the 4th would not turn in the threads, they were placed badly.

i wrote them again, 3 days later they responded they don’t want to help me unless i video tape myself trying to screw it together!

so i called Home Depot, they sent UPS to pick it up and refunded my money….

BUT i then bought another from Walmart on sale for $224!! A Char-Griller Auto-Kamado at half price! They delivered it the next day, it was packed much better and everything went together PERFECTLY.

ONE thing about it i do not like, the wifi will not work with newer routers, only older ones and bluetooth doesn’t reach from my yard to living room.

i love this grill. But don’t count on their customer service and don’t pay $498!! Walmart has them half price! At $224 it’s a steal.

I've noticed that like 5 of my devices only work on 2.4ghz wifi band. There aren't any routers out there that don't have both 2.4/5ghz channels. Thought I'd mention this for anyone that isn't tech savvy who reads your post. This grill's wifi will work with any router out there. My Masterbuilt 560 only operates on 2.4, but 2.4 has longer range and deals with walls better so it's a better option over 5 for devices like these anyways.

I was having issue with my WIFI not connecting and the smoker not remembering the credentials. I spoke with customer service and they sent me a new controller. The new controller is working great, it reconnects automatically.

Not using an Acorn but loaded up my KJCII this past Sunday at 7:00AM for a 225 cook & by Monday morning 11:00 AM I took out the food & opened up the air flow half way to burn things off. By 6:00 PM the cooker was still holding 400 degrees. I'm sure if I wanted to hold 225 it would have went until Tuesday morning so it's not an abnormality.
Well considering it’s not fragile ceramic and cost me only $244 it seems pretty wild to me.

There is a guy I follow on tik tok, Walter Johnston. He has alot of great content (not sure if he is on other platforms). He has an AK and seems to do alot of cooks on it. I have the regular akorn and it's been great. 6 years old no issues.

Here is a link to his page

I have had my Auto Kamado for 5 months now and here are my findings

- Dull tasting smoke when using standard equipment. I tried using the included deflector and the smoking stone but the results were the same. I also tried using only 1 piece of smoking wood instead of 2 but that didn't help either. I think this is due to the Auto Kamado running too efficiently to burn a clean fire. The smoke taste improved slightly using Smoking Dad BBQ's double indirect method (smoking stone + fire bricks + pizza stone).

- The controller is glitchy. I had my original replaced but even with the new controller, if I opened the lid, the fan won't turn back on unless I completely unplug the controller and plug it back again.

- The top vent can get stuck. My top vent got stuck so bad I had to use a hammer to smash it open. It got stuck due to build up of grease vapors.

Over all I am a little disappointed with the smoker, especially with all the rave reviews online. I was expecting significantly more smoke flavor over my Pellet Pro (with Heavy D) but it is only marginally more. I only paid $220 for it so I can't complain too much. Right now I am waiting for the next gen of gravity smokers to come out.

Last edited:

- Dull tasting smoke when using standard equipment. I tried using the included deflector and the smoking stone but the results were the same. I also tried using only 1 piece of smoking wood instead of 2 but that didn't help either. I think this is due to the Auto Kamado running too efficiently to burn a clean fire. The smoke taste improved slightly using Smoking Dad BBQ's double indirect method (smoking stone + fire bricks + pizza stone).

- The controller is glitchy. I had my original replaced but even with the new controller, if I opened the lid, the fan won't turn back on unless I completely unplug the controller and plug it back again.

- The top vent can get stuck. My top vent got stuck so bad I had to use a hammer to smash it open. It got stuck due to build up of grease vapors.

Over all I am a little disappointed with the smoker, especially with all the rave reviews online. I expecting significantly more smoke flavor over my Pellet Pro (with Heavy D) but it is only marginally more. I only paid $220 for it so I can't complain too much. Right now I am waiting for the next gen of gravity smokers to come out.
I use my regular Akron for barbecuing and grilling and slide a chunk next to the coals and smoke with my pellet maze in my electric Mes 30 or 40. I put a 17" charcoal grate for a weber 22" kettle on the upper three stone support arms and a pizza stone on it for indirect cooking with a disposable alum pan on the stone to catch juices from the top grate but I really like putting the 11" bottom grate that came with the Akorn on the 17" grate with a 10" diameter vent starting collar as a searing fire ring for grilling. I burned the zinc off of it in a 3 hour fire and rinsed it in vinegar to remove any residue since I can't find an aluminium collar. The double grate keeps pieces from falling through and i put a 13" charcoal grate for a weber 18" little smoky kettle in the bottom so the 9" original goes low or high for a double grate. The collar up top is a game changer for me on isolating a sear zone and indirect outside the collar for chicken etc. I use small lump or briquettes up top since the collar is 3" high and coals are touching the bottom of the cooking grate. I've had my Akorn 10 years or so and I wish I did this a long time ago. Saves charcoal to.
20230412_105451.jpg

Been playing with mine for a couple of months. Very fuel efficient, although mine is fussy about lump if I try to run it at 225. Smoke is better than my traeger, but still pretty mild. Right now it’s my go to smoker for just the two of us.

Over all I am a little disappointed with the smoker, especially with all the rave reviews online. I was expecting significantly more smoke flavor over my Pellet Pro (with Heavy D) but it is only marginally more. I only paid $220 for it so I can't complain too much. Right now I am waiting for the next gen of gravity smokers to come out.
If you put it on hold, the fan waits 5 min to start back up.

I had very similar experiences with my Akorn,,, very efficient but little smoke flavor. In my opinion, it came down to not enough air flow to produce good smoke ( I had to keep vents near closed to keep low and slow temps ). I used a smoke tube and a tip-top-temp on mine. I ultimately moved on to another cooker. Great all around cooker I suppose, but not really a smoker,,,,,, just wasn't for me.

I had very similar experiences with my Akorn,,, very efficient but little smoke flavor. In my opinion, it came down to not enough air flow to produce good smoke ( I had to keep vents near closed to keep low and slow temps ). I used a smoke tube and a tip-top-temp on mine. I ultimately moved on to another cooker. Great all around cooker I suppose, but not really a smoker,,,,,, just wasn't for me.
I have an akorn and think Kamados are ok for indirect cooking. It's smoking 225 vertically, building the fire with the minion method, scattered chips and chunks, then a grate, then pizza stone, then drip pan , then cooking grate, then food. If you need to increase smoke etc, then the unstacking begins. I prefer Kamados high heat 700+ for grilling on the high coal grate with a ring and the bottom coal grate for pizzas. Mostly the fire ring right under the cooking grate for two zones. I butt a wood chunk against the coals for bbqing I smoke with an Mes 30 or 40 and a pellet maze for cold smoking, cured meats, fish and sausage with lower temp control.
20230412_105400.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky