Who can tell me what kind of wood this is?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DGaddie

Original poster
Nov 25, 2018
Kentucky
Who knows what kind of wood this is?

Louisville, KY

Attachments

• 9C73EB0D-D128-4C5A-BAC1-29F660F5EC14.jpeg
    9C73EB0D-D128-4C5A-BAC1-29F660F5EC14.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 54
Judging by the bark and straight grain, I'd call it ash. Good way to tell: a six year old can split ash by hand. Up north where we heat with wood, ash keeps you warm because you have to run back to the pile as soon as you throw a piece in the stove. Nothing you want to smoke with, if it turns out to be ash. It doesn't leave coals...burns down to nothing in no time.

Reactions: chopsaw
Well I’d say the bark looks maple then. Smell it. Probably smells like maple

You just posted this couple hours ago. Give it some time. And ash is a wood for cooking. After zooming in the grain does looks very straight like ash.

I guess ash but it has been almost 40 years since I lived in your territory. I find trees vary from area to area.
Ash is one of my favorite woods in the stick burner. Good heat and a neutral flavor.
I can add chunks of heavier flavored wood me to get a different nose without over powering.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky