Whitefish and Lake Trout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zzerru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 14, 2007
Ann Arbor
Someone had asked about this on another thread so I figured I would post it in the correct forum also. Brined the whitefish and trout and then hot smoked them over alder and a little oak. Been enjoying them with a proper pint or two of Keweenaw amber ale.

bd2ed06d_F1.jpg

out of the smoker.

43ee213d_F2.jpg

Trout.

afd5b8b3_F3.jpg

Whitefish.

e92786af_F4.jpg

With Triscuits and some sweet onion. Usually have a little mustard along too.

Thanks for looking.

Looks delicious.  I've smoked fish once or twice before and I was always happy with it.  Have you ever made a dip with it?  Crumble it up mix with a bit of sour cream maybe a bit of mayo some seasoning and serve with those Triskets.  Good stuff.

I'm goi g to have to try making a dip, that sounds pretty darn good!

Question on the lake trout... most preparation methods, I find them to be a lot more oily than salmon, brown-trout, or rainbow trout. Is this the case when smoked? (fishermen call them "greasers" around here because they're so much more oily) I caught a bunch late last fall and have been grilling, baking, and broiling them, but haven't heard much about smoking them - thus haven't tried it. Just wondering if the rendered fat (grease) might be a problem.

The lake trout and whitefish are an oily fish but I have been quite pleased with them smoked.  The oils in the fish really attract a great smoky flavor!  my favorite way to smoke these is with applewood.  The oil in the fish is no problem.  I hang them on a curtain hook upside down when i smoke them to let the rendered oils drip. But i honestly dont get that much oil dripping when I smoke these fish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky