White spots on cured bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lachi3r

Original poster
Apr 23, 2022
I have small white spots emerging on my bacon as I'm smoking it after a wet brine.
I used a pineapple pumping compound from my local butcher.
I can't tell if it's mold or maybe undisolved solution that sat on the pork. Anyone have any ideas? Is it safe to eat?

Attachments

• PXL_20220423_223958481.jpg
    PXL_20220423_223958481.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 83
Just followed the ratios on the packet. I'll attach a photo.

And cured for 5 days. It's only a thin piece of belly.

Made sure it was fully submerged. Didn't smell bad at all. I'm puzzled.

Attachments

• PINEAPPLE-PUMP-1-rotated.jpg
    PINEAPPLE-PUMP-1-rotated.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 79
Not that I know of. Doesn't say so on the packet so I assume not

Looks like undissolved stuffs. I would wash it off cut in the center to make sure it's cured all the through and hot smoke it. If it doesn't smell bad after the smoke , I would eat it.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks like undissolved stuffs. I would wash it off cut in the center to make sure it's cured all the through and hot smoke it. If it doesn't smell bad after the smoke , I would eat it.
I think so as well. Certainly doesn't look like mold or anything unsafe. Definitely rinse it off and pay dry

Pineapple has bromalian which breaks down proteins and is used as a meat tenderizer. If the pineapple was active, then it could still breakdown protiens into amino acids. Some of those amino acids from broken down proteins will form crystals. Tyramine being the most notable. This happens with some cured meat products... and on the rind of Parmesan cheese...

Ok so sounds like it should be fine. Thanks for the help all. Much appreciated

It's not mold . Could be it wasn't completely dissolved when you mixed it up . My guess would be some type of discharge from evap cooling being bound by the phosphates . Or what indaswamp said .

Pineapple has bromalian which breaks down proteins and is used as a meat tenderizer. If the pineapple was active, then it could still breakdown protiens into amino acids. Some of those amino acids from broken down proteins will form crystals. Tyramine being the most notable. This happens with some cured meat products... and on the rind of Parmesan cheese...
You sir, are a meat genius.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky