Which smoker to keep?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nutshell

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Thanks to Masterbuilt customer service, I received a brand new MES 40 due to some issues with my MES 40B. I was able to exchange the MES 40B at Academy and Masterbuilt sent me another one. Woo-hoo!
D7D583BA-60DB-4771-B803-4FF51770CBAB.jpeg

So I can only keep one. Which one should I keep?
7256AE67-941B-4513-92BA-5E8469CCCEB6.jpeg

I like having a window. So I can stare in and do nothing useful but I can go 'Ayep. Progress' LOL..

Given how every one says the MES has temperature issues; why not run them both up to temp and see which is more accurate etc? Keep the one that keeps the temp better!

I like having a window. So I can stare in and do nothing useful but I can go 'Ayep. Progress' LOL..

Given how every one says the MES has temperature issues; why not run them both up to temp and see which is more accurate etc? Keep the one that keeps the temp better!
Two outdoor tvs. One smoker, one digital tv. I love my Gen 1 internal light. The ceramic socket is rated for 75 watts and has screw terminals up to a std 16 guage extension cord I double shrink tubed, designated for the light bulb because I wired in the PID from tallbm's bypass. I'm putting in a 40 watt bulb vs. The 15 OEM. Let there be light. The pic is the OEM 15 watt. The instructions allow 25 watts but that is the limit with stock controller .
20180302_101908.jpg
20180302_101855.jpg
20170831_195636.jpg

I don't have my glasses on , but it looks like you asked which one you should keep .

Lol I watch both at the same time so I call both TVs. I bring the digital tv out and get 50+ free digital antenna channels.

Reactions: Nutshell

I have an Auber PID controller so temp is good. I have to say the stainless looks sweet but I hate the window.

Both being Gen #1 Units, I'd keep them both, but if I had to choose, I'd keep the one on the right, because I'm spoiled by having the window for 8 years, and wouldn't want one without a Window in the future.

Bear

Both being Gen #1 Units, I'd keep them both, but if I had to choose, I'd keep the one on the right, because I'm spoiled by having the window for 8 years, and wouldn't want one without a Window in the future.

Bear
Thanks Bear. I’ve actually decided to keep the 140B. I just don’t like the window. I really don’t have a use for it. So I’ve read through your descriptions on different Gen units. Why do you say this is a Gen 1?
38E9697F-C1FD-44DB-AF81-1CFB94737C7C.jpeg

It has the 2 level drip pan and slanted shield for the heater element. I thought these were Gen 2.5?

All I could see in Post #1 is:
Control box on rear of units.
Doors hinged Right.
Top Vent on Back right of Top.

Those are All Gen #1 features.

Now you show me an interior picture of the Gen #2.5.
Split level Water Pan.
No Support Rods holding the Chip Burner up.

So since these pics are reported to be of the same Smoker, I would say what you have is one of their newer "Hybrid" MES units, which is a Gen #1 Exterior, with a Gen #2.5 Interior.
A Fine unit with the only problem being the top Vent being on the Right instead of the Improved back Left position.

Bear

Last edited:
All I could see in Post #1 is:
Control box on rear of units.
Doors hinged Right.
Top Vent on Back right of Top.

Those are All Gen #1 features.

Now you show me an interior picture of the Gen #2.5.
Split level Water Pan.
No Support Rods holding the Chip Burner up.

So since these pics are reported to be of the same Smoker, I would say what you have is one of their newer "Hybrid" MES units, which is a Gen #1 Exterior, with a Gen #2.5 Interior.
A Fine unit with the only problem being the top Vent being on the Right instead of the Improved back Left position.

Bear
Thanks Bear for your input. Yes, I see with the vent on the same side as the heat source that being somewhat inefficient. I wish they made a Gen 2.5 without a window in a 40” unit.

I have nothing but good reviews of this unit. It has turned out some pretty good eats.

Thanks Bear for your input. Yes, I see with the vent on the same side as the heat source that being somewhat inefficient. I wish they made a Gen 2.5 without a window in a 40” unit.

I have nothing but good reviews of this unit. It has turned out some pretty good eats.

You're right, I don't think they make a #2.5 without the Window:

But I can tell when my AMNPS is getting near empty, without opening the door.
I can tell when my AMNPS jumps a row, without opening the door.
I can tell if my AMNPS stops, without opening the door.
I can tell when the smoke is just right, or too heavy, without opening the door.
I can tell when my Bacon gets to the color I want, without opening the door.
I can tell if I have good smoke in my Smoker, or if that's just hot air leaving through the top vent & hitting the cold outside air.
I can tell when I have too much smoke, when I can't see the meat through the smoke, when looking through the window.

Yes, this is why I wouldn't want another Smoker without a Window, among many other advantages.

Bear

I can tell when the smoke is just right, or too heavy, without opening the door.
I can tell if I have good smoke in my Smoker, or if that's just hot air leaving through the top vent & hitting the cold outside air.
I can tell when I have too much smoke, when I can't see the meat through the smoke, when looking through the window.

Yes, this is why I wouldn't want another Smoker without a Window, among many other advantages.

Bear
You bring up a few good points Bear. Gives me some things to think about.

Bear
Right. Regular oven windows need cleaning to. It's just how often you want it cleaned. I let it go and take a razor to it. I'll get the 340G at Sam's (trapezoid window) if I have a need in the future but love the gen 1 40. The door around the window with the 340G is thicker than all other gen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky