Which pellet grill for the money?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a camp chef zg slide and grill. I’ve done chicken, ribs, burgers, and pork butt on there and they all came out pretty good. I had one issue with temp my first cook but I’m pretty sure it was pellet bridging and haven’t had an issue since, just Have to check the hopper every now and then and check the pellets. I wouldn’t spend a crazy amount of money on a pellet grill mine was just under 500 with a discount from dicks. If I could do it again, I would get one with WiFi. You will definitely use it.

Reactions: smokepuppet
Don't need a large grill but the RecTec seems to be the hot grill right now. No pun intended :emoji_grimacing: Going to investigate the small one...

I own a Rec Tec, albeit not the smallest one, and so mine was out of the $500.00 range. If you're going to spend the extra $100.00 and go with a Rec Tec RT 340, it retails for $599.00, you'll have a great pellet grill, and with excellent customer service and good build materials, in terms of the grate, firebox, etc. However make sure that their small RT340 grill, which has 340 sq in of grilling space, and they say will hold about 3 racks of ribs, will fit your needs in terms of how much food you're planning on cooking at once on your new pellet grill.

You can get a less expensive grill which will hold more food than the small Rec Tec RT 340. But if you go cheaper than it, you risk purchasing a larger grill, which is cheaper, but it has poor performance, poor build materials, and poor customer service.

A good pellet grill at a $500.00 price point with any capacity, good build materials, good customer support, WiFi, well that combination is going to be hard to swing at a $500.00 price point. And if you buy too small of a grill, no matter it's quality, customer service etc., you'll still end up buying again.

Buy once, cry once.

Good luck whichever route you go though.

Reactions: danbono
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. But I just bought a Traeger Ridgeline from QVC, it appears to be the Pro 22 gen 1 for reference. It came in a kit with the optional flip down front ($60), a cover ($60), and 2 bags of pellets ($40). All for $549 delivered, on the Traeger site and some of the other retailers I found, that's normally a $740-750 purchase before shipping.
Seemed like a great deal, just got it yesterday and doing the seasoning/initial burn in on it now. Its plenty big enough for my family, says its 575 sq inches of cook space.

Sold my Masterbuilt smoker and going to pull the trigger on a pellet grill. Staying around a 500.00 budget. So many brands and types of pellet grills its getting confusing.
Been looking at Traeger, Camp Chef, Pitboss Grills on line.

Welcome all or any comments as to quality, features and favorites and why would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a Rec-Tec grill/smoker. It's awesome. It's a bit over your budget but it's worth it for a solid stainless steel unit.

Larryl

Don't need a large grill but the RecTec seems to be the hot grill right now. No pun intended :emoji_grimacing: Going to investigate the small one...
I've had my GMG Daniel Boone for about 7-8 years now and i love it. It was in that 500.00 price range. I'm sure it's just like everything else (some swear by it and some swear at it). Yes it has some issues, (hot and cool spots, temp swings) but you learn those things as you use it and learn to adapt. I use mine year 'round (I have an insulated winter cover for it) and have never had a problem with it. Just like any similar rig, it pays to keep it cleaned out. (I have and old shop vac relegated solely to this task. There. You have my $0.02.

I've had my GMG Daniel Boone for about 7-8 years now and i love it. It was in that 500.00 price range. I'm sure it's just like everything else (some swear by it and some swear at it). Yes it has some issues, (hot and cool spots, temp swings) but you learn those things as you use it and learn to adapt. I use mine year 'round (I have an insulated winter cover for it) and have never had a problem with it. Just like any similar rig, it pays to keep it cleaned out. (I have and old shop vac relegated solely to this task. There. You have my $0.02.
Thank you DOG!

I own a Rec Tec, albeit not the smallest one, and so mine was out of the $500.00 range. If you're going to spend the extra $100.00 and go with a Rec Tec RT 340, it retails for $599.00, you'll have a great pellet grill, and with excellent customer service and good build materials, in terms of the grate, firebox, etc. However make sure that their small RT340 grill, which has 340 sq in of grilling space, and they say will hold about 3 racks of ribs, will fit your needs in terms of how much food you're planning on cooking at once on your new pellet grill.

You can get a less expensive grill which will hold more food than the small Rec Tec RT 340. But if you go cheaper than it, you risk purchasing a larger grill, which is cheaper, but it has poor performance, poor build materials, and poor customer service.

A good pellet grill at a $500.00 price point with any capacity, good build materials, good customer support, WiFi, well that combination is going to be hard to swing at a $500.00 price point. And if you buy too small of a grill, no matter it's quality, customer service etc., you'll still end up buying again.

Buy once, cry once.

Good luck whichever route you go though.
Very helpful, thank you slow mo!!

Have you Camp Chef owners been happy with the grills? Im looking at the woodwind 24 or the SG 24 (which now has WiFi and the Gen2 PID). There’s $100 difference between the two and it seems like the only difference is the woodwind has the bottom shelf underneath the grill, the colored display screen and 4 instead of 2 meat probes. I’m feeding a family of 4 and may go up to as many as 12, if we are entertaining. I don’t think the 36 is necessary (it’s not a budget issue, just not sure I need the larger size).

Any issues with rust, electronics or otherwise?

Have you Camp Chef owners been happy with the grills? Im looking at the woodwind 24 or the SG 24 (which now has WiFi and the Gen2 PID). There’s $100 difference between the two and it seems like the only difference is the woodwind has the bottom shelf underneath the grill, the colored display screen and 4 instead of 2 meat probes. I’m feeding a family of 4 and may go up to as many as 12, if we are entertaining. I don’t think the 36 is necessary (it’s not a budget issue, just not sure I need the larger size).

I have yet to read or hear anyone on this site say "I should have gotten the smaller one".

My Austin LX has 1008" of grate space, I have only filled it up 3-4 times in the last 2 years, but I like having the choice to load a lot more than normal if I want lol. I don't drive gas sipping hybrid cars, 2-4 door F150's lol

My PG24DLX came with the the larger pellet hopper, the window and bottle opener and more importantly it has ports for two meat probes. When I ordered it I was expecting it to only have one probe port so I guess they've upgraded the model. It only came with a single probe in the box but I picked one up for under $20.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky