Which MES40??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dfellows5

Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Mississippi Gulf Coast
My MES30 bit the dust. Looking into getting another since it lasted over 8 years out on the covered patio. Have decided I want a MES40 this time but have not kept up with the new MES's so can anyone give me insight into which of these I should get that will have the least amount of problems? These are all on Amazon.

20070311 Top Controller with Window and RF Controller $334

20075315 Front Controller Smoker with Window and RF Remote Control, 40-Inch $257

20070215 Front Blue LED digital panel Bluetooth with window $386

20076718 Bluetooth Electric Smoker 240G Digital, Black with SS Door $374 (its an updated 20070215) according to amazon.
From what I have read I think I want a Gen 2.5 but not sure which ones are except for the two blue tooth units. Thanks for any input ladies and gentlemen.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Newer MES ( I scrolled down under price and it listed a NEWER model ) $20 cheaper too....

this is it...

I Purchased this one........Happy as can be with it.
Also purchased the Thermopro TP-20
and the AMNPS . (I do not use the hopper that came with smoker unless it is a fast smoke)
From the input from the great Guys on this forum

Last edited:
Bearcarver Bearcarver has a listing of the pros/cons of each MES. I think it's in his index. It would be a good read before purchasing. If memory serves me correctly - I think the gen 2 is the one to stay away from.

Chris

Sam's club 340G BT $350.00 I believe. Four casters wheels on leg extensions. Door looks thicker with trapezoid window. Some report improved wiring.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Newer MES ( I scrolled down under price and it listed a NEWER model ) $20 cheaper too....

this is it...

I Purchased this one........Happy as can be with it.
Also purchased the Thermopro TP-20
and the AMNPS . (I do not use the hopper that came with smoker unless it is a fast smoke)
From the input from the great Guys on this forum
Hey AP514 can you shoot a picture of the inside bottom with water pan/shield set up? Can not find any pics of it anywhere online. Thanks

Hey AP514 can you shoot a picture of the inside bottom with water pan/shield set up? Can not find any pics of it anywhere online. Thanks

I'm sure his water pan is the one with the Split-level bottom, exactly like the one in my Link (above), noted as Gen #2.5.

Bear

I got mine used on Cragilist. I thought I'd get a used one to learn on, before I made a big investment. I started the same way with roasting coffee. Started with a popcorn popper, then moved on to a better home coffee roaster.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky