Where would you rather be?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tasunkawitko

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 27, 2008
Chinook, Montana
For some reason, I've held onto these photos for about 10 months, and I'm not sure why; I guess I just never got around to posting them.

but now, as spring opens up in my part of north-central Montana,, I figure that I had better get them posted. This was a pretty good day that we had last year at Bear Paw Lake, Which is located at Beaver Creek Park near Havre.

We got there pretty early that morning....

I always like it when no one else is out there.

Toward the dam, we saw a bunch of Canada geese with their goslings, and took some photos as they got into the water and swam away from us.

When my youngest son, Roger, was a baby, he didn't understand that ducklings and goslings were different species of birds - he simply thought they were all cute, and would say so. Whenever we saw any, he would exclaim, "Oooooh ~ CUTE!" When he got a little older, he would simply call ducklings and goslings "cutes."  He doesn't do that anymore (at least, not all the time), and someday when he reads this, he'll be mad that I shared this story, but it is one of those things that memories are made of, isn't it?

Later that morning, after we had caught a few trout, we pan-fried some of them over an open fire.

Just a little butter or oil, flour, salt and pepper is all you need; and, truth be told, you don't even need all that.

As the day went on, I tried to get some photos of the scenes around us.

This is a red-winged blackbird, one of my favourite birds in the area.

He was a friendly and inquisitive fellow....

Here, I was seeing how well the zoom on me camera worked.

Something else I've always liked out there are the cattails that grow near the shorelines.

Later, some more Canada geese swam by to see what we were up to....

And I gave the zoom on my camera another work-out....

Eventually, it was time to go home....

As we left, I took a few shots of one of me absolute favourite scenes in the entire world.

This scene has also been a favourite since my childhood.

All-in-all, it was a pretty nice day at the lake.

Where would you rather be?

Last edited:
Nice pics. "Visit Montana" is in my top five "Bucket list" things to do. I've always been intrigued by it since I was a child. I always felt that it's called "Big Sky Country" because it is so close to heaven for the avid outdoorsman/woman.

Last edited:
Nice pictorial of you day out. You're lucky to live in some place like that, not all of us have a view of such Grandure. The Trout looked absolutely fantastic , if you ever have too much , send them my way.

All we have around here are the pristine waters of Lake Erie.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Have fun and ...

That's some beautiful country and a great pictorial! 

There's a spot about a thousand miles south of you, in Northern New Mexico, called Vermejo Park.  Right in the middle of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains, and one of the prettiest places I've ever seen.  I lived on Vermejo Park Ranch for a couple years back in the 1970's, some of the happiest years I've had.

I guess that'd be my spot...

Thanks for sharing your day with us...

Red

Last edited:
Tas, evening..... when I read the title, I got confused....  First thing that came to mind was sitting in nepas camp site...... with a table of all the stuff he makes...  adult beverage in hand..... and endless time to sample it all.....  maybe a fire in the pit...  and a few other SMF members to help with the taste testing......

I guess I'm thinking food again....

Tas, evening..... when I read the title, I got confused....  First thing that came to mind was sitting in nepas camp site...... with a table of all the stuff he makes...  adult beverage in hand..... and endless time to sample it all.....  maybe a fire in the pit...  and a few other SMF members to help with the taste testing......
I guess I'm thinking food again....

Dave.. I just did this very thing with NEPAS last wknd... at the N. FL. Gathering

Those are some awesome pictures...

Last edited:
Ron great pics and some beautiful country up there thanks for posting them

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky