Where to start, seasoning amount for snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ihocky2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I decided that one of my steak seasonings seems like it would make a pretty good snack stick. I want to try a pound to see how it works. Where I am not sure is how much seasoning to start with. The ingredients list salt as the first ingredient, but I don't really know how much is in it. Though the label does say to use it like you would regular salt. It also has paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, other spices. I am thinking to treat this as salt and aim for 1.5%, so about 0.24 ounces of seasoning, plus the correct amount of #1 cure. I also guess I will have to add something for a binder, or can I skip that?

I know for sausages people fry a little bit up to test it, but I feel like this will taste more like a seasoned burger than the snack stick since it isn't smoked.

Also, when do most add cure? Before seasoning and let it cure as ground meat or do you add the cure shortly before stuffing and let it cure in the cases. I've seen both methods mentioned in videos.

Morning.... 1.5% is a great starting point for the spices.....
I would add the 1.5% spice and 0.25% cure#1 together and add to any water or beer you were putting in the sticks... Mix thoroughly and stuff into the casing almost immediately.... Then rest the stuffed casings in the refer to bloom overnight... Probably a good idea to cover the sticks with a damp paper towel so the casings do not dry out and get tough...
Before smoking, I would allow the sticks to sit at room temp for an hour or so to warm them up a bit...

Reactions: elsos
I know for sausages people fry a little bit up to test it, but I feel like this will taste more like a seasoned burger than the snack stick since it isn't smoked.

BUT ... it lets you know if it's to much or not enough seasoning for every bite full .. meaning.. if it's to much then by the time you get to the end of a 6" long snack stick it is over powering ... I kinda want my flavorings to add up over 5+ bites to the level I'm looking for ...

As far as when to add the cure... ether way is fine.. I prefer not stuffing immediately and put meat in zip lock bag after mixing everything for an overnight cure/rest ... reason for me is not enough refrigerated space for all the finished sticks after stuffed... I can stack 5 lb bags (flattened) in less space ... BUT I also do 30 -50 lbs at a time ... So for 1 lbs worth there would be plenty of space in fridge ..

Binder... I've done both with and without ... without is still very moist (if smoked correctly, ie. the step method) .. I use 1 C of NFPM per 10 lbs of meat when I do add binder ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the information guys. I am hoping to start putting this together tomorrow night or Saturday to run the smoker this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky