• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Where to get smoking wood?

mpviss

Joined Mar 12, 2021
Hey MD folks. I’ve been scouring the internets for a local (DMV area~ish) place to buy cooking wood and I’m at a loss.

anyone have a favorite source? I’m looking for Pecan if I can get it.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
While you look for a local source see if any of your hardware stores carry B&B wood splits Ace Hardware in my areas does at $19 a bag for 1.5 cubic feet.

daspyknows

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 9, 2020
Check firewood on craigslist or do a google search in your area for firewood guys. If they have wood after the winter they want to move it.

here is one posting I saw

Last edited:

old sarge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 26, 2012
You could go hunting for downed trees in a forest or orchard close to home. On the commercial side, here are two good sources.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Post an add on your local Facebook Buy and Sell site. Check out local arborist, those guys are always pruning or cutting down trees. Your local municipal government or your power company may be cutting trees that would be suitable for smoking.

SmokinGame

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 11, 2018
Too bad your not around here. Neighboring farmer dropped probably 20 trees less than 200 yards from my yard. Cherry, oak, hickory and some non-typical cooking types (sassafras, sycamore). Free for the taking if you cut and split it.

But I don’t have a stick burner!!! Now have enough fire pit wood for 3 years. Helped the neighbor get all the cherry for his fireplace.

jeff 1

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 11, 2011
I use whatever I can come by. I will pickup logs from recently downed trees and then take home to split with my axe. I have oak, ash, maple, pecan, Bradford pear, and some hickory. Hickory is what I like most but its hard to come by at times although Home Depot and Walmart both sell mini logs.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.