• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Where to find Apple Chips

pat4349

Joined Nov 14, 2010
Just recently started smoking.  Noticed that many of yousuggest apple and other fruit woods for smoking poultry.  Wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find apple wood chunks.  I live just outside Philadelphia in Delaware County, PA.  I've only found hickory and mesquite in local stores.  Thanks.

Pat

flyfishjeep

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 6, 2010
I looked in the paper to find a couple tree trimming companies and started aging the wood as it would come around.

Some places like walmart might carry it, or if you have a fireplace company that also carries grills, they should have some.

Good luck on your search

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain should all have apple chips or you can order it online. I just picked up some Apple chips and chunks at Bass Pro the other day. I moved your thread to the Roll Call section so you can get a proper welcome to SMF

Last edited:

tender loins

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 18, 2007
I use apple pellets, I bought a 20lb bag I think, from Cabela's when they had a deal on cheap shipping.

Hope this helps.

solaryellow

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Lowes down here carries apple chips all year round in the BBQ section.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 13, 2010
Welcome aboard!  Check your local walmart and local home center stores.  I get frustrated here because chips are all I can usually find! lol  

Hickory will work nicely too for poultry (about all I can find here), just remember Thin Blue Smoke (TBS).  

jfkiii

Joined Sep 29, 2010
I found Weber branded apple, pecan, hickory, mesquite, and cherry on Amazon @ 3.99 for a 3 pound bag  most other brands are for a 2 pound bag...with free shipping and no sales tax if your total order for all items purchased is at least $25.

Good luck with your smoker.

jfkiii

tender loins

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 18, 2007
Here, try this:

amazon" style="max-width:120px">
Try to find items that qualify for free shipping thru Amazon for orders over $25. I always have a running shopping cart, and I add & subtract things, then place an order. I recently got pecan in chunks that way. Plus Amazon has all kinds of cooking gadgets! I just got the Redi-Check remote(wireless) temperature probe for just under $20! Add this at the same time as a $5.99 bag of wood chunks and get free shipping on everything!

Last edited:

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
Pecan wood is also good for Poultry. If you have any Ace Hardware Stores in your area, I have seen Apple Chip there before.

dale5351

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 20, 2010
Last time I was in Lowes lumber/hardware store I saw apple chips there.  I can get them at either of two hardware stores near me, one is an ACE and I think the other is a Service Master.

northern greenhorn

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 11, 2010
I get mine at BassPro, but I have called a local orchard, and they said they'd have some apple wood, chunks and chips for me in Feb, for a lot cheaper than the price at BassPro

kevink

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
I buy mine at the grocery store in the charcoal section.  Sometimes places like Lowe's will get them for you so you don't have to pay the shipping costs - just talk to the folks in the grilling section and they may be able to order you some.

rmloan

Joined Nov 26, 2010
Pat,

I know you asked about apple wood but I wanted to add a source for cherry wood.  My wood flooring guy has lots of leftover cherry wood.  He said you can use the rustic cherry for smoking but not brazillian cherry.  My family loved it when I used it on a pork butt.

Regards

wylie

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 13, 2010
If you have Menard's stores in your area they should have them. I can get hickory, mestique, cherry, and apple at the Menards here. I wish they would carry Pecan. I want to try that. Might have to order some up online.

jojo22

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 26, 2010
I'm right over in Ohio, I was at Gander Mountain picking some up last night. I'd be more than happy to grab some and toss them in a flat rate box to get them to ya, no fee, just whatever it costs me!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.