Where to eat on a road trip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buddy

StickBurners
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
FT. WORTH
I have'nt posted on SMF in a while because I don't have access to the computer as much at my job , and that is the only one I have for now.
Here's what I'm wondering. I'm leaving Saturday morning on vacation
going to see some family in N. Carolina about a year ago , and I've
never made this drive before. I'm wondering if anybody has any
suggestions as to some pretty good places to eat. I want to check out
the BBQ in different states and whatever else. I'll be driving interstate 20
from FT. Worth through Loisiana, Alabama, Georgia and into S. Carolina.
I want to try to stay close to the Hwy. If anyone has tried some place
that you thought was really good , please let me know. Thanks

I can only attest to the BBQ joints along the Louisiana stretch of I-20. In Shreveport, there honestly isn't a good place easily accessible from the highway. Most of the decent spots are smallish mom-n-pop type places like "Slap-yo-mama" or "Online Diner". Neither of these places are easy to find unless you are from the area.

An hour past Shreveport in Ruston there is a spot about half a mile off I-20 that was always good!! When I went to La Tech, my wife worked at the place and brought me home all sorts of goodies each night. I have only eaten there a few times since the old pit boss bought it out and changed the name to Cowboys, but the food was always awesome.

To get to Cowboy's, take exit 86 in Ruston (Farmerville exit) and go left back over the interstate. Cowboys is on the left side about half a mile North. There is a place across the street called Log cabin, I do not recommend them.

As far as further down I-20 and easily accessible, not really anything else I can think of. You can usually find a Podnuh's barbecue place that doesn't totally stink, but it doesn't match the smaller places and is more of a chain restaurant.

Cowboys in Ruston was sold out last year and is now operating under the name Hot Rods. Haven't tried the food since they switched.

The Podnuhs at the Thomas Rd exit in West Monroe is the best Podnuhs in this area. Very good chicken and sliced brisket. It's only about 3 blocks off the Interstate.

Have a safe trip.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky