Where can I buy wood chunks for a decent price?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
Just got my very first charcoal smoker, so I'm excited to try it out and want to be sure I have everything on hand. Where can I find wood chunks for a good price? I see a bunch on eBay, but not sure how well they're priced or how sketchy buying wood from eBay is, lol.

Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Im in NJ, by the way

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF from Houston. Where do you live? In Texas you can go to Kroger, HEB and others to get wood chunks at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Correct, Home Depot almost always has hickory and mesquite chunks.

As stated, if you are lucky enough to be in Texas, every grocery store probably has stacks of them out front.

Welcome to SMF!
I don't know about New Jersey, but Home Depot, Lowes, etc. have them here. . I got my last bag at Meijer.
I haven't stepped foot in a Wal Mart in years but they probably have them, too.
Get big chunks if you can.

Forgot to mention that I'm in NJ. I'll have to check out the big box stores, thanks!

What's considered a good price for wood? It's confusing to me since it's not usually sold by weight

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I don
Forgot to mention that I'm in NJ. I'll have to check out the big box stores, thanks!

What's considered a good price for wood? It's confusing to me since it's not usually sold by weight
I don't know about buying in bulk, but I get Hickory and Mesquite at Home Depot. Not "cheap" at around $20 for a bag but not much more than charcoal.
I can do a brisket or shoulder butt using a little over a half bag or so and I only use charcoal to get the wood going.
I can get Oak from my fireplace wood but I have to cut it down to fit the firebox.
I don't know if you knew it but if you hover your cursor over someone's icon it will show where they are if it's in their profile.
wood.jpg

Walmart carries Apple, Hickory and sometime Mesquite Chunks for less than $8 per bag. There are enough chunks for 3 to 4+ cooks depending on how many you add to Charcoal...JJ

Reactions: JWFokker
If you can get splits or logs cheap, a chop saw can make wood chunks pretty quick. Plus they have a very smooth side that's good for heat transfer from a flat hot griddle or pan, if that's the way you smoke 'em. (If you throw them on hot coals, it doesn't much matter. You're only touching on a few points then anyway.)
But be careful. Losing a finger to save a dollar isn't a good deal.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
If you can get splits or logs cheap, a chop saw can make wood chunks pretty quick. Plus they have a very smooth side that's good for heat transfer from a flat hot griddle or pan, if that's the way you smoke 'em. (If you throw them on hot coals, it doesn't much matter. You're only touching on a few points then anyway.)
But be careful. Losing a finger to save a dollar isn't a good deal.

That’s exactly what I do.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky