When you want a packer, but not burnt ends...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
Anytime I do a brisket, it's always a full packer. And when I do a packer, I'm usually doing burnt ends with the point. But I've started to realize I don't always want burnt ends. Many times I just want the salty, peppery brisket. So for those of you who do packers but not burnt ends, what do you do? Do you just keep the whole packer intact and don't separate the point for burnt ends? Do you separate the point pre-cook and save it for another day? These are probably stupid questions, I've just never thought about it since I've always done burnt ends. Thanks, friends.

Reactions: Murdy
I have only done 3 briskets since getting my pellet and I have never separated mine. Last one was the best (neighbor must have eaten 2# at the table and took another # home). I have always wrapped mine in butcher paper. So far, I haven't done burnt ends, right or wrong.

Some people will smoke it whole and use the point in chili or a stew, some separate it cure the point for corned beef or pastrami, I'm sure there is lots you could do with it

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Cook it whole and separate when the flat is done. You can either freeze the point whole, cook it a little longer if you think it needs it, slice it, cube it for future dinners aka chili, hash or whatever. Most times I'll cube for future use. Who know you may want burnt ends in a couple months but don't want to tend a fire all day.

Chris

Cook it whole and separate when the flat is done.
that is what I do. Cook it whole, then after the first meal, separate the point and flat into pieces, vacuum seal and freeze for samis, tacos, chili etc.

Reactions: BigW.
Always whole for me . That slice through the point end is the best in my opinion . Just have to change direction on your slice sometimes .
1657638047430.jpeg

Ya had to do it Chopsaw didn't ya?? Post a pic of a perfect brisket and now my mouth is slobbering and trying to figure out when I can do one!!! Great looking brisket!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: chopsaw
You can slice thru the point for a "fatty" slice or chose flat "lean" slice. I'm certainly needing some burnt ends about now.

Reactions: WI Smoker77
I only do smaller packers (10 to 12 lbs), and if the flat isn't too thin I'll do the whole thing, but sometimes I cut off the flat end and either grind it up or use it for Pastrami.
I don't make burnt ends on purpose. They just seem to happen....
sliced.jpg

Ya had to do it Chopsaw didn't ya?? Post a pic of a perfect brisket and now my mouth is slobbering and trying to figure out when I can do one!!! Great looking brisket!! :emoji_thumbsup:
Lol ,,, did it to myself too . I have one in the fridge that is in line to be ground up . Now I want to smoke it .

That's what's up! I'm pretty sure this is exactly how a local food truck does it. Thank you!
Like B BigW. said they offer fatty or lean . There's different ways , I just like the point end sliced .

Reactions: WI Smoker77
Point just makes good everything. as gmc2003 gmc2003 mentioned above, you can't go wrong turning it into anything from pepper steak to - well- whatever you can imagine. Uncooked point is the best stewing beef on the planet, smoked point can be utilized in the same ways. It's going to be a bit greasy in something like a pepper steak, I just drain it well.

Try stroganoff with it just once. That or a gravy/meat mixture over rice is my go-to on leftovers. You get enough rendered fat out of it to make a roux (just make a light roux - not a dark - if you aren't separating the meat)

Shoot - slice it paper thin and pile it on a sandwich cold. I'm not a bit afraid to own up to doing that more than a few times. If I see a big half inch square or bigger chunk of pure fat - it's easily removed.

Some people will smoke it whole and use the point in chili or a stew, some separate it cure the point for corned beef or pastrami, I'm sure there is lots you could do with it
If you don't want burnt ends or fatty slices, then I agree with the separation and making CB or strami ( if you're comfy with curing). I do this alot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky