When/What year did OKLAHOMA JOES get sold to charbroil?

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by davidski, Feb 19, 2016.

1. davidski

davidski Smoke Blower

So as i wrote a few weeks ago i got a smashing steal on my OKJ 1060 LH smoker from lowes. THe box was beat to sh!t, and the manager said it has been sitting in storage since he started working there a few years ago, he sold it to me for $321, Lowes cost. (Usually 430$)

The thermometer needle was busted, so i called them, and Charbroil didnt have the Serial # on file. After 20-30 mins on hold, they told me they would be unable to warranty the grill because from the model number they can tell it's an 2012 model. I needed to mail them proof of purchase to get my warranty started, which i did. 

The woman thought i was reading the number wrong so i took a picture of it and sent it to her. She said the serial number doesnt make sense nor did the lot number, thats not how they do their numbers at charbroil. She also pointed out that she thought it was odd there wasnt any charbroil logos on the box. 

Did i accidently land myself a true OKJ?!? What year did CB take over? What do the newer boxes look like?

I'm not going to get excited until someone can tell me wth is going on, because charbroil cant. 

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Sounds to me like you have an original.

I think they bought them out last year.

Al

3. dstar26t

dstar26t Fire Starter

Take a picture of that cooker for us

4. davidski

davidski Smoke Blower

i hope to build it tonight. anything in specific i should zoom in on?

5. dstar26t

dstar26t Fire Starter

An overall picture would suffice.  I have a Longhorn (sounds like that's what you have) and a friend has a Highland that we bought last year.  They are very good "cheap offsets" depending on how your particular unit's doors seal.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  6. davidski

davidski Smoke Blower

BOOOOOOO!!!! the instruction manual has charbroil on the back. Boooo!

7. davidski

davidski Smoke Blower

this thing is bigger and heavier than my trailmaster.. it might not be a horizon, but i still love her. 

8. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit

9. joel11230

joel11230 Smoke Blower

So mine I got today must be a true Oklahoma joes. The serial plate has an outline of the state of Oklahoma but that's about all I can see. It is made out of 3/16" steel. Have no idea which model it is.

10. joel11230

joel11230 Smoke Blower

11. joel11230

joel11230 Smoke Blower

Im curious about the age of this thing.

12. davidski

davidski Smoke Blower

thats a ranger. thats the last smoker youll ever need to buy sir. 

13. joel11230

joel11230 Smoke Blower

Thank you! It is heavy duty.

14. joel11230

joel11230 Smoke Blower

I don't know how old it is but I got a pretty good deal on it I think.

15. joel11230

joel11230 Smoke Blower

And could someone explain exactly what tuning plates are? Is it to direct heat? Thank you very much

16. bauchjw

bauchjw Master of the Pit

17. davidski

davidski Smoke Blower

tuning plates are amazing if done right. without them the left side of the smoker is 220 degrees where the right side by the fire box is 350, burning your meat. the plates spread the heat out and block the direct heat from the box, gettign the chamber withitn 10 degrees of itself in any spot.