When to start a smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dinner has been had the smoked chicken and beef blade roast were both delicious and tender.
Ended up being 15 hours for the beef and 3 hours for the spatchcocked chicken. I'm exhausted but worth it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_070642025.jpg
    PXL_20220114_070642025.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 21
When I started smoking for friends and family, I'd do the same midnight runs. I soon realized that I had to do something different, or I was gonna quit smoking things that took so long. Then someone here told me about smoking things a day, in advance many years ago, and I've been doing so ever since.
If you really want to showboat you can always throw something like veggies, beans, ABT's or a fatty on the smoker the day of your get together. Doing things that way always impresses guests and makes life a whole lot easier, and you still get that great smoker smell throughout the house.
It's a win, win because you get to sleep and people see how much effort you put into the meal and how your smoker works. Take some pictures!!!

Great job, when it comes off go take a nap, you deserve it.

Dan.

Absolutely. Even just getting PP or Brisket done for a small group the same day is pretty taxing if you want to eat at a normal time. I always do my big smokes a few days or a week before we want to eat.

My son and FIL have the same birthday, which is always within a couple days of memorial day. So we have taken to hosting a joint party for them with both mine and my wife's family and whomever else wants to come. Usually winds up being anywhere from 12-20 people. That's my "big smoke" for the year. I do a tray or two of PP the week before - then day of I do some racks of ribs on the smoker and usually burgers/dogs on the gasser.

It works out well because I'm rolling smoke during the party for the ribs, and everyone thinks I am working hard because I've got both the smoker and gasser going right next to each other - sets the environment and mood right. But the long smoke was done the week before.

Dinner has been had the smoked chicken and beef blade roast were both delicious and tender.
Ended up being 15 hours for the beef and 3 hours for the spatchcocked chicken. I'm exhausted but worth it.
It looks great, and I like your knife, did you make it yourself?

Looks good man!
Yeah I see you moving to a more ideal approach for those long smokes for sure. Just think it could have been even long if you made shredded beef instead of sliced lol. Here in TX it seems we do mostly do chucks as Shredded Beef and Briskets as sliced .... though brisket prices are always way cheaper than chuck prices so I'm sure plenty of people do shredded brisket as well.

Anyhow, great looking food!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky