When is it too cold for a pellet smoker??? Or never

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
i am new to pellet smokers with a newer rec tec. I have a thermal blanket for it but the forecasted lows are 17. Is that just too cold or not???

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!,,

i am new to pellet smokers with a newer rec tec. I have a thermal blanket for it but the forecasted lows are 17. Is that just too cold or not???

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!,,
I have a Rec Tec. With the thermal blanket you won’t have a problem. Will be a little less edficient but I’ve cooked at those temps. Rec Tec is built out I’d such quality heavy steel you’re all good.

Wow nice! Winter brisket this weekend!!!!

I have a camp chef smokepro and last year i smoked with windchills below 0. Just adust for more time, more fuel. I have a thermal cover now. Definitely helps with less fuel consumption. Keep on smokin!

When I lived in Wyoming, it never got too cold to burn wood.
Not even at 60 below zero.

Now I will grant you it was damned miserable to be out in 60 below weather.
But we survived it.
One winter we burned wood in an air-tight wood stove as our only heat source.
And we survived that.

So my vote is it is never too cold to build a fire. As long as you can strike a match...

When it gets really cold you may have a problem getting it started. I have read you can start the firepot with a torch and that will warm things up enough to get the auger going. I am new to pellets also, so I have only started my Timberline 1300 with temps in the 20's so far this winter but didn't have any problems.

I grill and smoke at below zero temps. Without a thermal jacket though, the pellet consumption is crazy. I now leave it on year round with no issues.

I smoke year-round here in Colorado. I even smoke our weekly Papa Murphy's take n bake pizza at 425 degrees and it has no problem holding the temp. Granted, it takes a little bit longer to get up to temp and chews through more pellets but it works just fine. 225 degrees should be a walk in the park. Data point; I've got the GMG thermal blanket on mine.

I did a pulled pork last week, temp never got above 23 outside. Wind chill was probably around 10ish.

I smoked this Christmas and New Years. Temps in the 20's with a wind chill in the lower 10 degrees.

I have a PitBoss 700FB but I also bought a welding blanket to cover the smoker, had to cut holes for the smoke to "escape" But I also have the smoker on my side patio and that blocks the wind on two sides.

The Blanket keeps it warm and also up to temp longer and also less pellet's are burned. I have also put fire bricks in the bottom to help keep heat.

I say it is never too cold to smoke!!!

I grill and smoke at below zero temps. Without a thermal jacket though, the pellet consumption is crazy. I now leave it on year round with no issues.

See Sandyut,
Scott lives in cold country and does his below zero.

He must buy pellets by the truckload if he leaves it on year round with no issues.... :emoji_scream:

:emoji_rolling_eyes: You can't leave the door open like that with me around...:emoji_smiling_imp:

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
thank again for all the support - did a 12 hour brisket that was killer. used a fair amount of pellets even with the blanket, but no issues and no complaints.

I have cooked as low as -20 C on my Louisiana Grills pellet smoker. You will go through a few pellets but it can be done!

I have cooked as low as -20 C on my Louisiana Grills pellet smoker. You will go through a few pellets but it can be done!

That's -4 F for us Amerrycans....

A Canadian, who uses a Louisiana Grill in Canada, and picks on US for using the Kings Thumb to measure....
What IS wrong with this picture? :emoji_laughing:

One day to go on my Disco's Pepper Back Bacon curing.... this is gonna be good!
Love Ya Disco! :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: martin1950
I haven't used my new PB pellet pooper yet this winter in artic conditions. It's out in the garage where I do most of my smoking. Call me a whimp or wuss, but it's hard for this ole fart to get fired-up over smoking when I've got to get dressed in artic gear just to go out to the detached garage when the morning temp is -27*(American). BUT if we get a heat wave and it warms up to 0*, game on!!!!!
Martin

Last edited:
Ok so I digress on my statement based on where I live. We don't see temps like Jeremy & Martin describe. Man, that's just too damn cold. I don't think I'd cook outside in those conditions either.

"It's too cold to smoke" - said no one ever ON LAKE TEXOMA.
FIFY.....

Last April here in Minnesota I made a pork loin on the PB in the middle of a blizzard. Temp was about 20F and windchill was in the -10F area. Last week I went out and cooked some ribs for dinner when the air temp was -36F and the windchill was -57F (Momma wanted ribs and if Momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy). Bundled up in Carhartt head to toe and went outside. An extension of the house helped block some of the wind but was still a bit chilly. Went through a lot of pellets but the meat turned out pretty good. Too cold to smoke??? Haven't seen it yet!

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky