What's your occupation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Grew up helping my uncle farm - planting/harvesting corn, bailing hay, feeding/watering pigs & cattle - before my father insisted I be the first in the family to go to college.

Got a degree in Electrical Engineering but went straight into an MBA program and landed my first job in the Operations Research department at FedEx (think computer modeling). Spent 11 years doing that, and proudly watched as a proof-of-concept I'd done in 1992 finally went opertional in 2007.

Took a management job in the Air Operations Finance department supporting flight operations (help them analyze the cost implications of changes to the operations). Been doing that for 6 years, but I now realize that I hate office politics and probably need a new job
icon_rolleyes.gif

Along the way I spent ~10 years as a volunteer firefighter and am currently trained as an emergency responder for my local community. With 9 & 12 year olds at home, my wife & I don't have near enough time to do much more than what's required. I hear the upcoming teenage years will be worse, and if my kids are anything like I was as a teen - they'll be right
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Jon

I am the Facilities Manager for a production home builder here in Omaha. Closing 900+ homes each year. My roll is coordinating and supervising the upkeep and maintenance on our Corporate office and design studio, as well as the information centers and model homes in our 11 communities currently under production. Of course I always end my job description with "and everything else" because I never really know what will come up next.
Come the end of June I will have been with my company for 12 years.

I've been an eletronics tech for the last 28 years. Worked on things from parts in the space shuttles, triggering devices for missiles, detonators for bombs. Work with high voltage now. From a couple hundred volts up to 60 kv. I work for a small company so my title is Quality Control, Radiation Safety Officer(we work with Ni63), calibration tech, building maintenance, just about anything that needs done.

Been working for the phone co first Bellsouth and then at&t as a service technician /DSL repair for almost 9 yrs.
icon_mrgreen.gif
I drive the truck!
I've also been a licensed electrician for 13 years.

Currently finishing up school for my BSN in trauma. Volunteer firefighter for 22 years and EMT for NASCAR and NHRA for almost 10 years (all volunteer) EMT for 24 years.

Before the medical field I cooked all over the good ol' U. S. of A. and went to culinary school in New York (they never taught smoking or BBQ) and cooked for almost 22 years, Now RETIRED from food service I can cater small parties with my Dutch ovens and soon, with more practice will introduce my smokers

In the 80's I worked in a roller skating rink as a floor guard (traffic cop) and DJ I still miss the rink at over 40!

I started as a wood machinist apprentice for 3 years and stayed in the trade for 5 years after that. Then got a job doing industrial weed control. I travelled all over the U.K. with that job. Quit that one when i moved here to Iowa.
First job here was with a lawncare company. Wife didn't like me being gone when it snowed, and the company was pretty sucky to work for in a lot of ways.
Now i'm working a company that is big into heavy diesel engine emissions testing. I was on the road for a few years actually testing engines. Everything from school buses, OTR trucks to mining equipment. Now i'm more office based doing the computer side to get the reports back out to our customers. When i'm not browsing smf that is
icon_lol.gif

I have been working in the green industry for 25 years. From landscaping to what I have been doing for the past 14 years selling fertilizers etc. to the golf and landscape industry in North and South Carolina with LESCO/ John Deere Landscapes.

heavy duty truck parts--peterbilt tractor trailers....thus i am into caterpillar, cummins and detroits...don't love it but pays the bills with decent benefit package

Civil Engineer - must explain my need for spreadsheets to track the smokes!!!!!!!

Worked in Omaha, Tampa, The Dalles - OR, Denver, and KC

I own a oil and gas contract operations company. I started it a couple years ago and haven't looked back since. We mainly work with day to day operations of oil or gas wells and their facilities they produce into or optimizing the wells or equipment they deal with.

Well I wear many hats. Been an electrician for 14 years, the last 9 of them being self employed and still running my business. Now also teaching junior and senior high school students basic electricity at a vocational center part time. Also still work on row crop farms that I grew up helping out on. Work at the family dog boarding business, use to breed and train dogs also. My father and I also run a small machine shop/ fabrication/ welding shop. Plus I also work for a professional exhibition drag racing team. And at the younge age of 32 y/o

I dropped out of high school at 17, joined the US Navy (Seabee's CAN DO!) as a Construction Electrician. Afterwards, I was introduced to the "land sales" business by an older brother-in-law. We sold lake property in middle GA for Owens Corning's land division.
Had a chance to buy a small bait & tackle shop, I love to hunt and fish, at age 24. Since that time, the business has grown into a full hunting and fishing store, a convenience store, and pawn shop.

During my rein as business owner/operator, I have invested in numerous real estate ventures; land, homes, mobile homes, and mobile home parks.

PS- if we want to lower the price of gas, consider not buying from the "big three", Exxon-Mobile, Murphy Oil (Walmart), or Citgo (Chavez). If their sales drop, so will the price of oil/gas.

David S

truck broker for family trucking business. worked here for 1 year. just about outa college. im only 23 tho.

Been doing the same thing since I got out of college...I sell, install, program, and design home audio/video/automation systems for people that have enough money to buy whatever they want, whenever they want...all most do is ask two questions....how much $$ and when can you get it done. I also do some project management and installation management when needed.
If any of you are interested in this kind of stuff, this is some of the gear I work with...

www.crestron.com
www.runco.com
www.meridian-audio.com

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky