What's Your Favorite Thanksgiving Sides

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Scott Eisenbraun

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Bismarck ND
Since we have members from all over US (and elsewhere) What do you enjoy with your Thanksgiving meal besides the meat, potato, and gravy? We always have the same green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and dressing. I'm looking for a couple new sides to add to the meal.

- Brussel sprouts,
- roasted root vegetables: chopped carrots, potatoes, beets, celeriac, parnisps; beets cooked separately. Beautiful medley on the plate; tasty too.
- shredded cauliflower, mashed cauliflower.
- shredded broccoli stir fry with roasted nuts
- cous cous with chopped parsley, olive oil and pine nuts

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
Pickled herring, it a must have at all holiday meals.

Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Green bean casserole. Broccoli cheesy rice.

Does pecan pie topped with Blue Bell ice cream count as a side?

Green bean casserole, the inventor of which died recently at 92. From CNN:

(CNN)Across dinner tables in America, the green bean casserole is a Thanksgiving staple and has been for years. One month before the casserole's customary time to shine, the woman who created it has passed away.
Dorcas Reilly was 92 and died of Alzheimer's disease on October 15 in Camden, New Jersey, the Hinski-Tomlinson Funeral Home told CNN.
Reilly was one of the first full-time members of Home Economics department at Campbell's. That's where she came up with what the company calls "the mother of all comfort foods" in 1955.
She simply combined green beans and Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, and called it green bean bake.

Without a doubt and by a landslide stuffing!! Second is deviled eggs. Edging in there with both of those is my smoked turkey

Longneck squash baked slathered in butter and brown sugar. My sister makes this awesome summer squash casserole with grated carrot onion, cream of celery soup, sour cream topped with butter garlic ritz crackers. Oh yeah!

I found it completely strange at first but my In Laws do cole slaw... Also, their dressing is intensely difficult to prepare and doubt many would invest that much attention to it but it is divine and even better than the bird itself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky