What's your favorite off-the-shelf/store-bought barbecue sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Be glad to. I followed Aaron Franklin's recipe very closely and here it is...
  • 1¾ cup ketchup
  • ½ cup water
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ cup white vinegar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 3 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T my chili powder, recipe to follow
  • 1 T cumin
  • 1½ t coarse salt
  • 1½ t coarse pepper
  • ½ t cayenne pepper
Combine all in a pot and heat through, stirring regularly. Slightly simmer, do not boil.

Chili Powder recipe...I use this in everything...
  • 1½ cup smoked paprika
  • 2 T Ancho chile powder
  • 1 T oregano
  • 1 T garlic powder
  • 1 T onion powder
  • 2 t cumin
  • 2 t ground coriander
  • 1 t cayenne
@TulsaJeff Jeff Phillips has some great sauces and recipes that you can buy directly from him here so this may be a great avenue for you...
Thank you i'm going to try this sauce

smoked cherry bbq sauce.jpg

New favorite. Saw this at Grocery Outlet and used on some ribs yesterday. So good I went back and bought 2 cases. They seem to have discontinued it or it was a test marketing sauce since its not on their website.

Reactions: Marknmd
View attachment 660969

New favorite. Saw this at Grocery Outlet and used on some ribs yesterday. So good I went back and bought 2 cases. They seem to have discontinued it or it was a test marketing sauce since its not on their website.
Two cases. lol. That's gotta be some serious good bbq sauce. The bottle shape looks a lot like my favorite whomp sauce.

101110_XXX_v1.jpg

Two cases. lol. That's gotta be some serious good bbq sauce. The bottle shape looks a lot like my favorite whomp sauce.

View attachment 660990
cases 6 bottles. Add to the collection for when I don't make my own. When I fire up the smoker I share with friends and neighbors as its the same amount of work to do 1 rack or 5. Never have a shortage of takers and everyone liked the results with this sauce.

Reactions: Marknmd
I used to doctor up a basic store brand sauce to make it my own but got tired of it gelling up due to the main ingredient being high fructose corn syrup. I found Stubb's that doesnt have corn syrup and has a great flavor that needs very little doctoring. All their flavors are pretty good.

1680276905258.jpeg

Sticky Pig is hard to beat.
I just used the sticky pig mustard sauce as a base for a double smoked ham glaze yesterday . Added brown sugar , maple syrup , nutmeg , honey and some allspice .
Gonna need to find the other flavors .

I found Country Bob's at the store the other day and tried it for the first time. I enjoyed it. It is thick, a bit sweet and has a nice black pepper kick.

Reactions: uncle eddie
I found Country Bob's at the store the other day and tried it for the first time. I enjoyed it. It is thick, a bit sweet and has a nice black pepper kick.
I like Country Bobs when I go to one of the Greek-Style pizza-steak restaurant and get one of their cost effective steaks.

Be glad to. I followed Aaron Franklin's recipe very closely and here it is...
  • 1¾ cup ketchup
  • ½ cup water
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ cup white vinegar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 3 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T my chili powder, recipe to follow
  • 1 T cumin
  • 1½ t coarse salt
  • 1½ t coarse pepper
  • ½ t cayenne pepper
Combine all in a pot and heat through, stirring regularly. Slightly simmer, do not boil.

Chili Powder recipe...I use this in everything...
  • 1½ cup smoked paprika
  • 2 T Ancho chile powder
  • 1 T oregano
  • 1 T garlic powder
  • 1 T onion powder
  • 2 t cumin
  • 2 t ground coriander
  • 1 t cayenne
@TulsaJeff Jeff Phillips has some great sauces and recipes that you can buy directly from him here so this may be a great avenue for you...
This sounds good. I will definitely try this

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
For something local. I like the Trader Joe’s Kansas City BBQ sauce a lot.

Used to like SBR and it used to be my favorite. But now days it’s too sweet for me.

I think my tastes have changed over the years.

Stubbs for regular store bought. I just wish it didn't have the liquid smoke in it and it'd be perfect.

A favorite in this state is Cooky's. That's the most godawful excuse for barbecue sauce I've ever tasted. Talk about thick and sweet, it seems to be made for using on pancakes. Absolutely disgusting!!!
I will agree with you on that. I met Speed Herrig once with an event through the Iowa BBQ Society, he seemed like a decent guy and raised a lot of money for the community but man, I just don't like that sauce.

A looooooong time ago I used to like Sadler's sauce on brisket. They do not sell that anymore.

Probably now, I'm not sure. I mostly buy SBR. It's not my favorite but it seems to be what everyone else likes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky