What's your favorite off-the-shelf/store-bought barbecue sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
View attachment 659838

I tried to create my own KC-style sauce, but the trial-and-error method was just taking too long. Then it hit me, there is a company that out-sells practically every condiment/BBQ sauce maker in America...French's. If their sauce wasn't any good, they wouldn't be a top seller, so I grabbed a bottle and never looked back. My ribs never were great, until I slapped on some French's and the compliments started rolling in. I usually slather it on in the last hour and sort of bake it on. My friends and relatives, to a person, say the sauce makes it.
As I mentioned in an earlier post Cattlemen’s is very widely used commercially. Both the original and gold are solid sauces.

Reactions: grillmonkey
I will have to try!!!!

Tomato Concentrate from Vine Ripened Tomatoes, Brown Sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce, Cider Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Mustard, Spices, Salt, Xantham Gum, Natural Flavors
You can look up his site on the interweb. He sells a few sauces & rubs.

Reactions: eaglewing
I have a few to get through before I get more to try . These are all " Local " the the St. Louis area , or made in Missouri . Some are from across the river . I've had the first four left to right . All good . The white has a horseradish flavor to it . Any of the Country Bob's are good . I have 4 bottles in the pantry , plus SBR's .
1678633113836.jpeg
I haven't tried the Lillie's yet , but I have tried a couple red sauces from them .
Fantastic sauces and rubs . You have to look at the label , because some say Carolina with Lillie's in small letters .
Open pit will be going on some chicken parts this week .
1678633044768.jpeg

My brother went on a bus tour of Wisconsin and brought these sauces home for me. Anyone in Wisconsin familiar with them ?

Croix Valley Cran-B-Cue sauce

Bald Eagle Foods Apple Cinammon

Bobs Bitchin BBQ Honey Chipotle

Wisconsin BBQ sauce.jpg

TNJAKE TNJAKE that looks really interesting, I'll have to look for it. Wife won't like it but I have the other she can use. We use it more for dipping than anything else.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I have been mostly making my own but Bone Suckin Sauce and Everett & Jones (a local Oakland BBQ place) are 2 that I like. I prefer making my own brisket and using their sauce than eating there BBQ. Got tired of buying fat.

Attachments

• evandjones.jpg
    evandjones.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 3
  • bownsuckinsauce.jpg
    bownsuckinsauce.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3
For store bought, I use half KC Masterpiece mixed with half Head Country Hot as a good standby. For brewing my own I use something similar to Jeffs.

After seeing Head Country mentioned quite a few times I started looking around to try some. Scored a gallon from Sams Club online for $11.

tn_IMG_1262.JPG

Thanks for the recommendation!

Dave

Off the shelf: SBR - Original -and- Maul's

Locally produced: Sticky Pig is hard to beat. I like the jalapeno and mustard based sauces best and the wife likes the original 'sweet' Sticky Pig sauce.

Reactions: chopsaw
Not really a store item or off the shelf as I have to order it but…

Tacticalories Candy Apple Whisky BBQ sauce. I order it at least 20 bottles at a time!

I have been mostly making my own but Bone Suckin Sauce and Everett & Jones (a local Oakland BBQ place) are 2 that I like. I prefer making my own brisket and using their sauce than eating there BBQ. Got tired of buying fat.
daspy are you old enough and in the bay area when Flint's was open? They used to kill Everette and Jones. I still dream of that sauce! It was commercially available for a hot minute, but now gone the way of the dinosaurs. Truth be told, I'm a sucker for a Bama white sauce. Anyone know of a good store bought white sauce? I tried a few and was not impressed.

daspy are you old enough and in the bay area when Flint's was open? They used to kill Everette and Jones. I still dream of that sauce! It was commercially available for a hot minute, but now gone the way of the dinosaurs. Truth be told, I'm a sucker for a Bama white sauce. Anyone know of a good store bought white sauce? I tried a few and was not impressed.
Do I remember Flint's? Hell yeah. When I first moved to California I couch surfed a month and Flint's on Shattuck was halfway between where I stayed and Ashby BART and too dinner to go frequently. Three way combo of ribs, sliced beef and chicken an NO potato salad. Was always worried I'd get a finger with the way they swung the cleaver.

There was also Doug's which could be good. Now its where they feed the homeless.

Reactions: Nefarious
Do I remember Flint's? Hell yeah. When I first moved to California I couch surfed a month and Flint's on Shattuck was halfway between where I stayed and Ashby BART and too dinner to go frequently. Three way combo of ribs, sliced beef and chicken an NO potato salad. Was always worried I'd get a finger with the way they swung the cleaver.

There was also Doug's which could be good. Now its where they feed the homelesss
Ah the good old days! Now we're stuck with E&J's and overpriced and overrated Horn BBQ. But the E&J sauce is a winner though.

Not in any particular order:
Dukes
Sticky Fingers
Bulls Eye
SBR - when in a pinch....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky