What's your favorite off-the-shelf/store-bought barbecue sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I mentioned that Stubb's was once my favorite but then something changed. I contacted them and asked them what in their recipe changed. They told me nothing had changed. I thought maybe I got a bottle from a questionable batch. I still can't use Stubb's. Too bad because it was pretty near perfect. Maybe something about my body chemistry changed with age.

Another sauce I tried but at first didn't like was from Jone's Barbecue in Kansas City. I kept trying to figure out why I didn't like it and realized it was tamarind. Once I found out more about tamarind I liked the sauce fine.

Funny how things work.

Reactions: Marknmd
I mentioned that Stubb's was once my favorite but then something changed. I contacted them and asked them what in their recipe changed. They told me nothing had changed. I thought maybe I got a bottle from a questionable batch. I still can't use Stubb's. Too bad because it was pretty near perfect. Maybe something about my body chemistry changed with age.

Another sauce I tried but at first didn't like was from Jone's Barbecue in Kansas City. I kept trying to figure out why I didn't like it and realized it was tamarind. Once I found out more about tamarind I liked the sauce fine.

Funny how things work.
Yeah I feel like Stubb's has changed a few times over my life time. Could never find one I really liked that I could stick with and when I found a suitable one it didnt stay the same that long.

For me a deal breaker is stuff like nutmeg which I think G Hughes sauces use a bit off. To me their flavor profiles wander way to much into baked dessert flavors like flavors you get in pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, etc. For BBQ sauce... why!?!?! lol.

I greatly appreciate everyone's responses. I think I'm going to start experimenting by making the recipe Charles posted and going from there.

It should be fun.

Of course I'd like to see how this thread proceeds. If any of you want to post your favorite recipe that would be greatly appreciated also. I could use some ideas.

Since you're allowing the thread to depart from store bought, last year, I did Tuffy Stones baby back recipe that included a Cherry Barbecue sauce. This is maybe my favorite sauce. It was delicious and I'd like to do it again. I think about it often.

Cherry Barbecue Sauce
makes 1 quart

What you need:
3 cups ketchup
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup cherry preserves
1/2 cup sun-dried cherries

What to do:
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, combine all the ingredients with 1/2 cup water over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring continuously, for 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool slightly.

2. Puree the cooled sauce in a blender until smooth, and set aside until ready to use, or transfer the sauce to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 weeks.

Reactions: daniels
I like Braswells I like every one I've tried. My favorites are Honey Habanero & Sweet Bourbon. They make several and I'm slowly working my way through them.

Reactions: 912smoker
Rudy’s BBQ sauce.

There’s a gas station/store here called Sheetz that I’m not sure how far they are outside of PA, but I just absolutely love their Dr Pepper BBQ sauce!! It’s not store bought Stubbs or SBR (tried those) and it’s not any of the bbq recipes online (tried those too). The dr pepper flavor is very dominant, it slaps you right in the mouth, and it’s got a nice spicy tingle to it.

I’ve gotten close trying to replicate it by using Dr. Pepper ice cream topper (the syrupy stuff) but it’s not the same.

Reactions: Bytor
Mine is local as well... It has a little tang to it... If I want it sweet I will add a little molasses to it... But I don't do much sauce though...

It's Ho-made ...

Pat's Ho Made BBQ Sauce.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
SBR raspberry chipotle. They quit making it a few years ago and I'm still mad. I'm diabetic but loved that sauce, I stay away from most of it now but a taste here and there, Tabasco has some great sauces out these days

I'm originally from St. Louis and grew up loving Maull's barbecue sauce. Excellent stuff!
I grew up on it mixed with Fallstaff . Been awhile , but last time I had it ,,,,, I wasn't a fan . I'm gonna pick up a bottle on Friday and revisit it . To bad I can't get Fallstaff . Maybe some Stag ?
St. Louis has some great local sauces these days .
Sugar fire BBQ
Country Bob's is out of Collinsville I think .

I had a subscription from BBQ box as a prize from a Throwdown . One of the boxes was Lilly's from South (?) Carolina . Fantastic sauces and rubs .

Been using Head Country for 30ish years. Every time we go out west to visit family we pick up several bottles.

Rudy’s BBQ sauce.

There’s a gas station/store here called Sheetz that I’m not sure how far they are outside of PA, but I just absolutely love their Dr Pepper BBQ sauce!! It’s not store bought Stubbs or SBR (tried those) and it’s not any of the bbq recipes online (tried those too). The dr pepper flavor is very dominant, it slaps you right in the mouth, and it’s got a nice spicy tingle to it.

I’ve gotten close trying to replicate it by using Dr. Pepper ice cream topper (the syrupy stuff) but it’s not the same.

Gonna have to see if the Sheetz have it by me. We only have about 8 in state college
😂

Reactions: xray
I think it has changed over the years. I think all have been mentioned at one point, SBR, Stubbs Original, Head County.... But at the moment, I would say Kinders is on the top of the list.

I have tried a few times to make my own without much success. I have my Dad's "secret sauce" recipe that I have never been able to replicate. I have come close a few times, but it is always slightly off. He never really wrote it down for me, I had to watch and try to figure out what he put in and how much. He wouldn't even slow down for me. Thanks Dad...:emoji_tired_face::emoji_sunglasses:

I'm gonna pick up a bottle on Friday and revisit it . To bad I can't get Fallstaff .
I don't know why I did it but I revisited it about a year ago and I couldn't believe how horrible it was after making my own and buying good ingredient ones out there. I poured it down the sink... sorry.
I actually enjoy trying different ones on the market, it helps not get 'sick' of the same ol'. Several Kinders are very good, and Redneck Lipstick from Walmart is a very good sauce.

20220806_212205.jpg
20230129_130504.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky