whats with the rub???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

menace2sobriety

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
clarksville Tn
maybe I'm stupid, maybe I bought a bootleg copy of the book, or maybe the rub, but I bought jeffs book Smoking Meat: the essential guide to real barbecue on my kindle. I was pretty excited to pick up this book and went through it pretty quickly. At first I was a little upset about the info in there. For some reason I was thinking I would find some stuff in this book that was not already either common knowledge or that I couldn't just find it on the internet. not the case but i figured well there is a bunch of good recipes in here so good enough. the first and only thing I've tried from the books just making and using the all purpose rub and it is terrible. I thought well maybe it will cook out and taste different after cooking so I tossed some on some burgers and dogs tonight and now I think my family and I will just run up to little ceasers and get 5 dollar hot and ready. I am really disappointed in this right now. I didn't figure by buying the book I would be gaining access to some ancient family secret recipe or anything but I figured Id at least get a decent base of things that I could build on to make my own but this all purpose rub is so bad I can't even eat the meat it is on. Am I the only one who has experienced this or did I read something wrong? I don't want to post the recipe on here because if this is some sort of scheme to make money off of poor dumb saps like myself I don't want to ruin it for anyone. but if there are others that bought the book and had this happen to them give me some advice, what did you do?

Most any How Too book is going to be a beginner's guide, unless the title says, Advanced Techniques. What about the rub was wrong? Too hot? Too Sweet? Too salty? Did you double check your measurements? Guys add Tablespoons for Teaspoons all the time. Nothing ruins a recipe faster. There are a lot of recipes l don't like but that does not mean it is a bad recipe. Just means the author and l have different tastes. I love Duck Liver Pate and Pigs Blood Sausage. I have fabulous recipes for both. My Wife prefers a Poke in the Eye with a Sharp Stick over a single morsel , of either, crossing her lips...JJ

Last edited:
I bought his rubs and per experience of making my own. Basic. What is in his rubs are found in others. Personally I liked what he had but also made changes to it. Adding to or taking out a flavor you might like or dislike is common. Same goes for his BBQ sauce. I found it to be excellent for me. I make 4 quart jars at a time. Do I change things? Why yes. To my liking. Give it a chance. Change it to you taste. Remember that everyone has different taste. Good luck

I just checked out the FAQ for Jeff's book and it says that his rub and sauce recipes are NOT included with the purchase.  You can get a 20% discount on the rub recipes after purchasing his book.  I don't have his book, so I can't comment on the "basic" recipe.  I am a big fan of his original rub and sauce recipes.  

Mike

I waited till father's day and got the discount for his rubs and sauce. His rubs are good. I add to them for a change up at times. His bbq sauce is awesome but I like more heat for which he says to modify for your taste. I say it was worth the money. What the heck. I've wasted money on worse things. Couple bucks for a recipe. Heck yeah. Sometimes you get gold.

Bought the recipes, no complaints other than a few tweaks to suit our tastes. I'd have to agree with the measurement thing, TBS and TSP are easy to confuse. Overall a great base to start with and add or delete as you see fit.

Didn't buy the book btw, just the rubs and sauce.

I Made his rub and enjoyed it on ribs and chicken. Never seasoned a hot dog outside condiments and just salt and pepper on burgers if that. Haven't done the BBQ sauce because we don't use much and it's easy to buy.

The basic rub in the book is a contribution. Jeffs rub and sauce recipes must be bought separate from the book. They are a great value. I did a tremendous amount of research before I bought them and they are the best I've ever used. I tweak both of them just a little as we prefer a little more sweet and a little less heat. No problems there. The recipes are very user friendly.

maybe I'm stupid, maybe I bought a bootleg copy of the book, or maybe the rub, but I bought jeffs book Smoking Meat: the "essential guide" to real barbecue on my kindle. I was pretty excited to pick up this book and went through it pretty quickly. At first I was a little upset about the info in there. For some reason I was thinking I would find some stuff in this book that was not already either common knowledge or that I couldn't just find it on the internet. not the case but i figured well there is a bunch of good recipes in here so good enough. the first and only thing I've tried from the books just making and using the all purpose rub and it is terrible. I thought well maybe it will cook out and taste different after cooking so I tossed some on some burgers and dogs tonight and now I think my family and I will just run up to little ceasers and get 5 dollar hot and ready. I am really disappointed in this right now. I didn't figure by buying the book I would be gaining access to some ancient family secret recipe or anything but I figured Id at least get a decent base of things that I could build on to make my own but this all purpose rub is so bad I can't even eat the meat it is on. Am I the only one who has experienced this or did I read something wrong? I don't want to post the recipe on here because if this is some sort of scheme to make money off of poor dumb saps like myself I don't want to ruin it for anyone. but if there are others that bought the book and had this happen to them give me some advice, what did you do?

Notice in the title of the book.... "Essential Guide" ... meaning just the bare necessities... Does Jeff actually say the rub is his creation, or was it contributed by someone else ?? If the later is the case I can't see justification for ripping into the author and demeaning his book... After all it is just an "Essential Guide" to smoking... tweak things to your liking ...

I wasn't trying to rip into Jeff or anything like that. I was just asking about that particular rub. I understand the book is just a basic guide and the eaentials I didn't not expect an all in depth end all be all guide to cooking meat. I had heard so many great reviews about jeff's rub and was curious to try it. When I saw this in the book thought this is what everyone was taking about. At first it didn't even make sense to me that this simple recipe with only three ingredients would be any good but thought he'll so many people can't be wrong. I didn't not realize this is not the recipe that everyone take about. Honestly the only reason I bought the book was for the recipes.

Normally I would just make my rubs or sauces like anyone else and just mix up stuff that I think taste good. I just like to have other recipes to try out or use as a base to build on. And for what it's worth Sometimes I make some pretty horrible stuff that I just toss out. Same wit making beer when I was brewin beer a lot and experimenting with beer recipes sometimes I'd make a really good beer. Sometimes not. I guess that initial post sounded bad I was just shocked and confused that that many people would rant and rave over this rub because I thought this was the recipe that everyone was taking about. Sorry for the harsh post and sorry if anyone was offended by it

Last edited:
You don't need to buy any books. This is all you'll ever need.
WWW.SMOKINGMEATFORUMS.COM
So many recipes can be found in this site.So many people willing to give. Still. Buy his rub recipe. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I just can't imagine buying a rub recipe. I make mine without a recipe and have always liked them. Taste and adjust.
I felt the same Doug, but then I learned that it helps keep this forum going so I ordered them.  His recipes blew away anything I've made myself.  Very easy to tweak and not too salty.  It was money well spent.

Mike

Normally I would just make my rubs or sauces like anyone else and just mix up stuff that I think taste good. I just like to have other recipes to try out or use as a base to build on. And for what it's worth Sometimes I make some pretty horrible stuff that I just toss out. Same wit making beer when I was brewin beer a lot and experimenting with beer recipes sometimes I'd make a really good beer. Sometimes not. I guess that initial post sounded bad I was just shocked and confused that that many people would rant and rave over this rub because I thought this was the recipe that everyone was taking about. Sorry for the harsh post and sorry if anyone was offended by it
It's cool menace2sobriety!  This is the best site on the web because it isn't about bashing others.  It is the most supportive place, with the greatest members around.  Honestly, I bought the recipes because I wanted to show my appreciation for Jeff creating this forum, I didn't expect it to become my favorite rub.  

Mike

I felt the same Doug, but then I learned that it helps keep this forum going so I ordered them.  His recipes blew away anything I've made myself.  Very easy to tweak and not too salty.  It was money well spent.

Mike

I may very well do the same thing. I've been getting Jeff's newsletter for a long time, but only started visiting this forum after I bought my Bradley a couple months ago. Before that I had an el cheapo Brinkman and I had not yet become fully obsessed...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky