whats with all the Masterbuilt MES problems?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rgillespi

Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
I'm looking for a new electric smoker and was hoping for some advice on a selection.
i see by the other post that there are problems with MasterBuilt MES line, what's a few other suggestions?

thank you
bob

I've not heard a complaint from the Smokin-It owners. But they are significantly more expensive, plus Shipping. Can you have a Pellet Smoker. There are a lot of satisfied owners of some brands...JJ

I've heard of the occasional problem, but no more than you may find with other entry-level priced equipment. I've had mine for about 6 years with no issues, and I know there are plenty of people on here who have had them longer.

For the price, MES smokers are pretty good. Not sure how much experience you have with smoking, but they are great to learn some basics of smoking and knowing what to look for. That's what I learned on anyways. I would recommend them without a doubt.

I have had my mea 40 for a year and a half ! And use it at least once a week or more ! Only problem I ever had is if the outside temp is below 32 I have to heat the sensor with a hair dryer ! Other then that it has been great !

MES smokers are not bad but they can be made better. The boxes themselves are actually quite good. There have been some that had controller failure but it seems Masterbuilt is pretty good about customer service (no firsthand experience here). Their smoke tray system sucks in my view - just a bad design. Won't make smoke at low temps and needs too much attention when it does make smoke. Many (most?) including me make modifications that turn them into excellent electric smokers.

Reactions: JC in GB
Last edited:
Had one for a while but quickly realized we needed something larger so I didn't bother modifying it and instead gave it to a friend.

Reactions: Andy A
I've had mine 7 years . Added the Auber controller . I would't be without mine .

I have my mes 30 for 6 years now, no problems so far. as far as the no smoke at low temps the amnps tray takes care of that.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

i was shocked to see that 10 of the 20 topics were all MES related problems.

i will probably pick one up tomorrow at work, as i can get a 10% off .

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky