whats the difference btwn Steak Ready Pork Shoulder Butt and Bone-In Boston Butt Shoulder Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
the Pork Shoulder Butt is labeled as "Steak Ready Pork Shoulder Butt". its on sale for $1.49/lb. I am wanting to make pulled pork, but have always used the traditional Boston butt. Will the "Steak Ready Pork Shoulder Butt" work or should I just get the actual Boston Butt?

Reactions: JLeonard
It's the same thing.. as long as it's not pre sliced.
thanks, ill check on that when i get my eyes on them.

It might mean that the bone has been removed.
I can live with boneless for $1.49/lb!

thanks guys, they look very similar on the Kroger site. And I'm just about outta pulled pork stash in the freezer :emoji_anguished:

" Steak ready " is probably sliced .
yeah... the deal is too good to be true I think. this is what google found for me: "The "pork steak shoulder butts" are pork shoulder sections that have been run through a band saw and cut like steaks. " Bummer. I'll still go have a look, but confidence is low.

Costco two pack of boneless pork butts are what I usually use and have had great success with. Maybe I will stick with whats been working for years, unless the real butt goes on sale. Costco has the boneless two pack for $3.50. Kroger has bone in butts for the same price.

Just thinking here, as a test. I have smoked "Country Style Pork Ribs" that were boneless and cut from a pork shoulder roast. Since this seems to be similar meat sliced differently I have some thoughts.

Why not try stacking several against each other in your smoker or even wrapping with twine and smoke like you would one chunk of meat since you are going to a higher IT temp to soften and "pull"? But as a second thought, extra foil starting in a pan shape to get initial smoke absorbed and then fully close later to catch the most likely extra juice created because of the cuts might be helpful.

If you decide to give them a try, let us know how it works out.

sandyut sandyut Just yesterday I deboned a Kroger "steak ready" butt. It was not sliced or anything different than a normal whole bone-in Boston Butt Roast. I got it for a real good price and am grinding for sausage today.

Reactions: jcam222 and sandyut
Here in AZ Kroger is the same as Fry's Market, butt's are on sale for $1.29lb this week. RAY

1.50 for boneless is a great deal, I'd pick up a couple for occasions where I want a ton of rub/other flavors added (utilizing the inside extra surface area).

..That said, I would assume it means "center cut" , roughly 7lb butts with less meat underneath the bone.

sandyut sandyut Just yesterday I deboned a Kroger "steak ready" butt. It was not sliced or anything different than a normal whole bone-in Boston Butt Roast. I got it for a real good price and am grinding for sausage today.
Sweet. Going shopping! Many thanks

I like the steak ready boneless pork steaks when I can find them. Boning and slicing are two less steps that I have to do when doing tacos al pastor. On a side note-back when I was an apprentice meat cutter, I sliced a pork shoulder butt into steaks. When I realized my mistake, I grabbed the butcher twine and tied it back into a roast. I wrapped it meownself and wrote on the package Pork Butt Roast/Presliced. About a week later, the customer called the shop and thanked my dad for "preslicing" the pork butt but was a little disappointed that the other pork butt roast was still whole. From then on whenever we butchered a hog for them we always remembered to slice and tie the pork butts for them.

So these were actually whole uncut bone in pork butts. Not sure why they were labeled as "steak ready". But the price was great at $1.49/lb

Reactions: 801driver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky