what's easier/better 2 5lb or 1 10lb butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stoaway

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Chicago,IL
Hi, I need some advise.

Is it easier to cook 2 smaller butts or 1 larger?

Would the cook time be considerably less using 2-5lb vs 1-10lb?

From reading 2 butts of the same size may cook different.  So is 1 better?  Just monitor 1?

Approx how long would a 5lb take vs a 10lb.

Appreciate the input.

New smoker.

Mark

ECB Smoke n Grill

I find the smaller ones take longer for me for some reason, plus two butts is double the amount of bone ,less meat. 
icon14.gif

Can you give a very rough estimate on cook times 5lb butts and a 10lb.  I know that's tough, just a ballpark.

Mark

I find the smaller ones take longer for me for some reason, plus two butts is double the amount of bone ,less meat. 
icon14.gif
Taking that into account. And the possible variables trying to cook 2 butts.  smoking 1 butt could be easier for a newbe hosting a party the next day?

I did a 7 pound shoulder today and it took a little over 6 1/2 hours to smoke till 205, the bone slipped right out. 
icon14.gif

Taking that into account. And the possible variables trying to cook 2 butts.  smoking 1 butt could be easier for a newbe hosting a party the next day?
Yes if you smoke 1 large butt it will be easier to watch. Plan on 2 hours per pound and you can always wrap and put in a cooler and it will hold for hours if you finish early. 
icon14.gif

I disagree. My experience is the bigger the butt the longer it takes. I have had 12 pound butts take over 28 hours to finish at pulling temp. Give it a try and see what happens.

With your experience on butts.  do you find (for your rig) that the time is always close for butts of the same weight.  Meaning, if you have a 7 lb butt do you mostly plan on about 6 1/2 hrs.

With your experience on butts.  do you find (for your rig) that the time is always close for butts of the same weight.  Meaning, if you have a 7 lb butt do you mostly plan on about 6 1/2 hrs.
Yes and no, I find my smokers run a little cooler in the winter "non-insulated" so I take that into consideration. For the most part I find they average about the same length of time in the same weight class. 

I disagree. My experience is the bigger the butt the longer it takes. I have had 12 pound butts take over 28 hours to finish at pulling temp. Give it a try and see what happens.
Man that's scary.  I'm doing a b-day party the next day.  I 1st planned on reheating.  I got a lot of suggestions on reheating here at SMF.  I thought to investigate further on what it would take to have it fresh off the smoker.  Planning on also doing ribs the day of.  Plus all the other stuff, just me.  Meateater has the knowledge to do a 7lb in 6 1/2 hrs.  That's not me.

Still wondering what to do...........?

Man that's scary.  I'm doing a b-day party the next day.  I 1st planned on reheating.  I got a lot of suggestions on reheating here at SMF.  I thought to investigate further on what it would take to have it fresh off the smoker.  Planning on also doing ribs the day of.  Plus all the other stuff, just me.  Meateater has the knowledge to do a 7lb in 6 1/2 hrs.  That's not me.

Still wondering what to do...........?

If your not sure on times you can alway's smoke and pull it and put in the fridge, then just reheat in a crock pot, that way it will be warm but not dried out. Once you learn your smoker and do a few butts they will become second hand. 

I did a 7 pound shoulder today and it took a little over 6 1/2 hours to smoke till 205, the bone slipped right out. 
icon14.gif
So roughly,....how long would it take you to do a 10 lb.   roughly average, barring any stubborn butts.

So roughly,....how long would it take you to do a 10 lb.   roughly average, barring any stubborn butts.
Just guessing about 8-9 hours. One thing is a all smokers are different, watt burner, charcoal, propane, insulated, non insulated, then location......desert, mountains. I would suggest a small butt for a test run to give you an idea for temps and times. Pork freezes well by the way so a practice one wouldn't hurt. 

Thanks a lot Meateater for your input, I really appreciate it.  Maybe I should stick to my original plan of reheating.  If I smoke it right and reheat it right then it should be right.

Thanks and have a good night and smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky