• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What wood to use for building a raised outdoor container bed

dougmays

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Nov 18, 2010
i want to build a raised garden in my backyard.  i know i'm not supposed to use treated wood.  so what kind of wood should i use.  i've heard cedar...but in home depot it was very expensive...but i think i might have been looking at indoor cedar?

any advice? i dont wanna spend a arm and a leg

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
My dad and his buddies all have raised gardens in their yards and they all use old rail road ties.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Nov 18, 2010
that's actually what i wanted to use....but have no clue where to find them....any idea?

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
If there is a RR yard  or office nearby ask them .

We have alot of tracks here and they usually don't mind us hauling off some of the old ties when they do change outs . Alot of the bigger garden centers will have ties for sale.

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
If you're concerned about using treated wood, then definitely do not use railway ties, as they are also treated.

smoke 2 geaux

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 18, 2010
I don't pretend tobe a gardening expert, but I can't see the harm in using treated wood.  I've seen hundreds of raised gardens and flower beds using RR ties.  And like AK1 said, wood doesn't get any more treated than that.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Nov 18, 2010
i did some reading and they say not to use ties for edible gardens because of the creosote...or plant plants atleast 6 inches from the border.

i think i'm gonna go with Cesar boards from lowes or home depot...looks like that's the only non treated lumber commonly found

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
We used regular treated lumber and just don't plant the edges

chefrob

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 13, 2009
i used cinder blocks stacked with no mortar...............

grampyskids

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 26, 2009
Do not under any circumstances use railroad ties! hey are treated with creosote and other nasty stuff. After a few years, they will contaminate the soil rendering it unplantable.

Last year, after an exhaustive search, I determined that PT wood sold at HD would not hurt the plants or my family.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I can't see how the treated wood of today can hurt anything or anybody.

It's really weak compared to the old stuff they stopped selling about 6 years ago.

Bear

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
I would sooner use treated wood from HD or Lowes etc, than old railroad ties.

Actually, at my previous house I just used regular 2x12 boards (either spruce, pine or fir). They lasted around 7 yrs before I had to replace them.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
The most preffered natural wood would be cedar, but if you cant afford that then use the treaded wood over railroad ties. Like Bear said they have changed how they treat the wood considerably, not nearly as bad as it used to be.

smokeamotive

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2009
I would not use railroad ties as the creosote contains PCBs. I built my garden with 6x6 CCA timbers. Nowdays PT lumber goes by ACQ. Have never had a problem with planting around them. Put them in @ 15yrs ago and have no problems with rot. Would take a pic to post but all you'll see right now is snow.

Last edited:

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 26, 2010
Been using cross ties for years with no problems,but I always have 12-14 inches on the edges and till up and replace alot of the soil every couple of years.

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
I would'nt have a problem with using treated wood there's not much in them these days.if you are still worried you could line it with plastic.i would'nt touch railroad ties in a million years

captsly

StickBurners
Joined Feb 12, 2010
I am going to use landscape timbers for mine ( when I get around to building it!! )

chef willie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 31, 2010
Have to agree with the above posts about RR ties....nasty chemicals used. I debated this for weeks last year when putting in my raised bed. Finally settled on the treated lumber from HD even though the price had jumped a few bucks per board from when I first looked.....grrrr.  Got the longest they had in stock.....2X8X10 and had them cut one in half for the end caps. I put old cardboard in the bottom to keep the grass/weeds from growing up and had a nice plot. Had 2 yards of garden loam/compost mix delivered and dumped in with a little extra left in case it settled over winter. Worked great....good luck

biggeorge50

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 24, 2009
I have to agree with Chefrob.  I have always used cinder blocks.  Used ones are usually not hard to find around here.

glenn stanton

Joined Feb 6, 2011
...I just used regular 2x12 boards (either spruce, pine or fir). They lasted around 7 yrs before I had to replace them.
I used Cedar fence boards to build 12"w x 18"h x 36"long boxes for my mom.

10 of them.

Expected them to last a couple of years.

They finally failed at eight years.

Cost about $16 and 1 hour each.

No chemicals. Just some yellow wood glue and drywall screws.

Years of dill, coriander, sage, oregano etc.

I think that the daffodils and tulips finally did them in. ...

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.