WHAT WENT WRONG ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin pop-pop

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Allentown Pa.
Hey all i have a problem and need help, i made 20 rings of cabelas bologna last night, they reached IT of 156 per instructions but took little to no smoke, can i put back in -no heat- and just let the amaz-n give it more smoke? TIA

Reactions: JLeonard
What casings did you use? Were they smoke permeable or non permeable. IMO If they didnt get any smoke flavor through the cook your not going to get much more. I would peel the casing off and hot smoke em till they got some color and then vacuum seal. My 2 cents

The sausage experts will be along soon. In the meantime, how long did you smoke them and at what temp.?

I looked up the directions for a Cabela's bologna kit . Says to soak the casing in a salt water solution for 30 minutes before stuffing . Softens the casings , but maybe there's another reason for it .
Drying before adding smoke makes a big difference too . I'm guessing you'll pick up some smoke after they sit a day or 2 .

Peel the casings and hot smoke as suggested above . I've done that in an MES 30 . Set to 200 and took the sausage back to 152 internal temp . Doesn't take long , just keep an eye on it . I had wood chunks on the element .

I looked up the directions for a Cabela's bologna kit . Says to soak the casing in a salt water solution for 30 minutes before stuffing . Softens the casings , but maybe there's another reason for it .
Drying before adding smoke makes a big difference too . I'm guessing you'll pick up some smoke after they sit a day or 2 .

Peel the casings and hot smoke as suggested above . I've done that in an MES 30 . Set to 200 and took the sausage back to 152 internal temp . Doesn't take long , just keep an eye on it . I had wood chunks on the element .
Trying to add smoke with casing on gonna see what happens.

Wondering why the soak in salt water too....... My method is to form a pellicle on the surface of the casing and then add cold smoke to a sausage. A pellicle will form and become tacky to the touch like glue and the smoke will stick to it. 2 hrs of cold smoke without heat is plenty to give it a good smoke flavor. The smoke generator will continue as heat is started but is really not needed any more. To form a pellicle soak/rinse the casings with fresh cold tap water and stuff. Hang the wet sausage and place a fan in the corner and turn it on low blowing in the direction of the hung sausage. The shiney sheen on the wet casings will dissapear and the sausage will get a dull/flat look. This is when the sausage is ready to accept cold smoke. Well that's how I do it.....lol
If the casings that come with the kit are non edible casings its probably non smoke penatrable too.

Hey all i have a problem and need help, i made 20 rings of cabelas bologna last night, they reached IT of 156 per instructions but took little to no smoke, can i put back in -no heat- and just let the amaz-n give it more smoke? TIA
pop-pop

When you put in the smoker were the casings dry?
Smoke has a hard time with wet casings.

Wondering why the soak in salt water too..
I've had those directions with protein lined casings , and have seen Rick talk about a salt water soak . Beyond that I don't know . I do like you say . Cold water rinse , stuff hang at room temp under a fan .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky