What went wrong again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Everyone's got you covered. On another note its always good to use a remote thermometer in the cook chamber to verify your temps are true. I assume you smoked a flat at 4 Lbs. IMO they are harder to cook tender and not dry out due to the small size and how lean they are when trimmed from the butcher or a plant. A chamber off by 20-30 degrees can make a difference and speed up the time when the collagen and connective tissue breaks down. This can give you a dry and overcooked brisket flat

Needed to cook it longer. Brisket gets more tender the hotter it gets. The tissues (I know it’s not tissue but can’t think of the word right now) didn’t break down. Brisket needs to around 200IT to be juicy and tender.
Collagen. That is the word you are looking for. It is tough and needs temps. above 180*F before it will breakdown. The collagen reacts with hot water molecules to create gelatin.

To the O.P.- as the temperature of the meat approaches 180*F, the meat will tighten up and WILL be tough as leather! but once it starts passing through that magical 180*F, the bonds in the collagen start breaking down as it reacts with water. It takes hours above 180*F before it is tender. I have found that pulling a brisket @195-200*F then 4-5 hour rest in a 180-200*F oven works best for me. Especially when I cook one for the guys at the firehouse.

Everyone's got you covered. On another note its always good to use a remote thermometer in the cook chamber to verify your temps are true. I assume you smoked a flat at 4 Lbs. IMO they are harder to cook tender and not dry out due to the small size and how lean they are when trimmed from the butcher or a plant. A chamber off by 20-30 degrees can make a difference and speed up the time when the collagen and connective tissue breaks down. This can give you a dry and overcooked brisket flat
I assumed that smaller was easier ... ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky